• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hi Yield stump remover

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For anyone who uses stump remover granules for the potassium nitrate content. Hi Yield has changed the formula and does not contain potassium nitrate anymore. So don't use it to treat cartridge paper or make fuses or for any other flamable use. I made up some stuff and it won't even burn, much less light quickly and easily. Amazon has very pure product for a good price and free shipping. Actually quite a bit cheaper than stump remover.

You know that reminds me. I never even looked on the label to see what was in the brand of stump remover I bought. The experts on this forum just said "stump remover" and that's what I bought.

Trac
20220908_221512.jpg
tor Supply sells this brand

Somebody told me the only stupid question was the one not asked
“Hi Yield has changed the formula and does not contain potassium nitrate anymore. So don't use it to treat cartridge paper or make fuses or for any other flamable use”
Treat cartridge paper? What do you do to treat them and why?

Somebody told me the only stupid question was the one not asked
“Hi Yield has changed the formula and does not contain potassium nitrate anymore. So don't use it to treat cartridge paper or make fuses or for any other flamable use”
Treat cartridge paper? What do you do to treat them and why?
Plain paper won't reliably ignite from a percussion cap and effectively insulates the gunpowder.

Yeah the Amazon product is the best price I could find. Plus it seems a good chunk of the year any stump remover is hard to find locally anyways. Amazon has quite a few things along these lines for reasonable prices.

I see that it comes in pellet form. How do you deal with that?
I have an old blender and a coffee grinder. If you are making black powder then grind your charcoal, saltpeter, and sulfur (if needed) separately before you mill it. I use a two step milling approach. I have big rollers in my rough mill and balls in my final milling operation.

Back