• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple wrench for Crocket rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one I made out of a 1/4 in drive socket. Easy with a Dremel cut off wheel. Really though a nipple wrench that will fit a #10 or #11 nipple works on my 32 cal.
nipple wrench 001.JPG

I probably have over a dozen nipple wrenches so something is always there for a Crockett and anything else.

I have tried 3-4 different nipple wrenches on my Crockett and none of them fit or works properly. Even ordered one that's for a cap and ball pistol and it will not work.

Been using a small opened end wrench until I can find the proper nipple wrench for it.

Nipples come in standard sizes, and wrenches are available to fit them. Nipples are usually marketed according to the diameter and thread pitch of the threaded shank, and the size of percussion cap.

I’ve never handled a Crockett rifle. What is unusual about the nipple? I went to the Muzzleloaders.com website and looked up the Crockett rifle and found they had a link to the owner’s manual. This stated that “Traditions replacement nipples have metric M6x1 threads.” I know this doesn’t tell the OP what specific wrench to buy, but since the nipple is a standard size, I would think any standard rifle-sized wrench would work.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
For mine it is not the nipple but the placement. It takes a unique wrench to fit in the cavity around the nipple. To big diameter wrench will not fit far enough down on the nipple to be able to turn it.

For mine it is not the nipple but the placement. It takes a unique wrench to fit in the cavity around the nipple. To big diameter wrench will not fit far enough down on the nipple to be able to turn it.
That makes sense… thank you.

I hear and see a lot about these rifles, but I’ve never examined one. Can somebody please post a photo of the breech and nipple seat of a Crockett rifle? This may help with finding a solution to the problem.

Thanks,

Notchy Bob

We do remove the lock before attempting to pull the nipple, right? Most of my percussion guns require this. The exceptions are the military guns, on which I can use the issue combination tool.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
That makes sense… thank you.

I hear and see a lot about these rifles, but I’ve never examined one. Can somebody please post a photo of the breech and nipple seat of a Crockett rifle? This may help with finding a solution to the problem.

Thanks,

Notchy Bob
Here’s your picture Bob. No need to pull the lock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
The picture with the nipple out isn’t showing rust. That’s never seize. The problem is the closeness of the metal behind the nipple. The picture of my wrench is the one my friend made for me. Works great.

Thanks, Jim!

Seems like one of the wrenches intended for revolvers would work, although one of the fellows above said he tried one with no success.

Traditions really ought to issue a functional nipple wrench with every percussion gun.

I made a couple of my own nipple wrenches years ago. It wasn’t hard.

Notchy Bob

The revolver nipples are a little smaller than rifle nipples. A revolver wrench won't have the spacing between the flats that a rifle wrench has. The nipple wrench needed is a rifle wrench with a smaller outside diameter. You seem to have found a wrench that fits. Much easier than making one.

TWB hunter ... was that the traditions revolver wrench or the traditions traditional wrench ?? They are two different wrenches. I should get the right one for my crockett rifle.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Nipples come in standard sizes, and wrenches are available to fit them. Nipples are usually marketed according to the diameter and thread pitch of the threaded shank, and the size of percussion cap.

I’ve never handled a Crockett rifle. What is unusual about the nipple? I went to the Muzzleloaders.com website and looked up the Crockett rifle and found they had a link to the owner’s manual. This stated that “Traditions replacement nipples have metric M6x1 threads.” I know this doesn’t tell the OP what specific wrench to buy, but since the nipple is a standard size, I would think any standard rifle-sized wrench would work.

Notchy Bob
Not the nipple itself, Bob. Although the factory Crockett nipple is metric, it is also undersize for #11 caps, which makes them easily fall off. I replaced the factory nipple with a TOTW, 6-1 nipple. Caps fit like they should now.

The issue is the distance around the shield, or breech material itself, or whatever its called, that makes it difficult to get any other nipple wrench around the nipple. There isn't much clearance.

As long as the nipple/threads are orientated properly, a small wrench can be used. I use a 13/64 open end ignition wrench. It works okay as long as the slots are aligned properly, which mine just happen to be. If not then the 13/64 wrench will not work.

Of great importance to me is the fact that the small 13/64 ignition wrench is short, compact and light. I like to carry a nipple wrench with me while hunting, especially in the mountains, and packing light has always been a priority for this ole boy.

Last edited:
We do remove the lock before attempting to pull the nipple, right? Most of my percussion guns require this. The exceptions are the military guns, on which I can use the issue combination tool.

Notchy Bob
Not necessary to remove the lock. I never do so with any ML unless I'm wanting to clean the lock.

Back