• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple Size for Cabela/Pedersoli Kodiak?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmoline

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm trying to find replacements for the Cabela's Kodiak made by Pedersoli. According to info I found the Italian made parts should have 6-.75mm nipples, but while these seem to fit they're much tighter than the original nipples. I'm afraid to crank down on them for fear of ruining the thread.

The @$@# originals have no sizing on them and Pedersoli's website says nothing. Anyone happen to know the size these take?

Cosmoline,
This will most likely not help much
but I have purchased 3 Hawkens from Cabela's
(made by Investarms) and the nipple size were
6x.75mm on them all.I'm not sure what you mean by
"crank down on" but I just snug mine up and have never had a problem.I also remove and clean the
nipples and threads after every other shoot.Lightly lube nipple and threads with
borebutter and always fire off 2/3 caps prior
to loading up.Just my thoughts.
I think I called Cabela's and talked to a tec
person to get the thread size.You may want to do the same.
snake-eyes:hmm:

Thanks for that info. Can I ask, how much resistance are you getting when screwing the nipples off or on? With the original factory ones I just have to free them 1/8th of a turn and they come loose with my fingers. With the new ones I have to screw them a full turn before they're hand loose. I suspect my old ones were just wore out.

Have you tried a thread gauge on the old nipples, and then checked the thread pitch on the new nipples?
Also compare ( micrometer the diameter) of both old and new nipples
Best Regards
Old Ford

I have four (4) differenet Pedersolis, rifles, shot gun and pistol, they all take 1/4 X 28 nipples.

RDE

Richard Eames said:
I have four (4) differenet Pedersolis, rifles, shot gun and pistol, they all take 1/4 X 28 nipples.

RDE

Yeah, I think I got the wrong size. Nothing like making it simple! Italian made firearms have a US measurement nipple.

Cosmoline:
If a 6mm X .75 threaded nipple fits tightly, then a 1/4-28 will fit tighter.

A 6mm thread is .236 in diameter while a 1/4 inch thread is .250.

a .75mm pitch thread is equal to 34 threads per inch which is not equal to the 28 threads per inch on the 1/4-28 part.

I suggest that you take one of the original nipples to a hardware or auto parts store and have them measure the outside diameter of the thread to varify whether it is .236 (or slightly smaller) or .250 (or slightly smaller) before you mess up the threads in your gun.

Cosmoline said:
I'm trying to find replacements for the Cabela's Kodiak made by Pedersoli. According to info I found the Italian made parts should have 6-.75mm nipples, but while these seem to fit they're much tighter than the original nipples. I'm afraid to crank down on them for fear of ruining the thread.

The @$@# originals have no sizing on them and Pedersoli's website says nothing. Anyone happen to know the size these take?

they take 1/4-28 nipples.
bernie :thumbsup:

The Kodiak double gun has varied throughout its life time, and it could take either the 6mm or the 1/4-28 nipples. Take the old nipple out, and go to a machine shop, or a good hardware store that sells thread gauges in both English and Metric systems, and measure yours EXACTLY. You don't want to be putting in the wrong nipple for that gun. And, you don't want a nipple blowing out of the gun, particularly when you need another shot.

Nipple threads are probably the only part of a percussion gun where precision fitting is even more important than the thread fits on both the breech plug, and drum. This is because the nipple is pointed back at your head! :shocked2: Be very sure of your thread size. :hmm: :thumbsup:

P.S. Also, always measure the length, or " Height ", of a new nipple when you buy it. Compare it to the height of the old one you are replacing to make sure you are getting the right product. Pistol nipples have shorter lengths than do rifle nipples, and lengths even vary between manufacturers of rifle nipples.

paulvallandigham said:
The Kodiak double gun has varied throughout its life time, and it could take either the 6mm or the 1/4-28 nipples. Take the old nipple out, and go to a machine shop, or a good hardware store that sells thread gauges in both English and Metric systems, and measure yours EXACTLY. You don't want to be putting in the wrong nipple for that gun. And, you don't want a nipple blowing out of the gun, particularly when you need another shot.

Nipple threads are probably the only part of a percussion gun where precision fitting is even more important than the thread fits on both the breech plug, and drum. This is because the nipple is pointed back at your head! :shocked2: Be very sure of your thread size. :hmm: :thumbsup:

P.S. Also, always measure the length, or " Height ", of a new nipple when you buy it. Compare it to the height of the old one you are replacing to make sure you are getting the right product. Pistol nipples have shorter lengths than do rifle nipples, and lengths even vary between manufacturers of rifle nipples.

paul my pedersoli tryon riffle is a 1981 model 27 years old and is a 1/4-28 nipple thred acording to the australian distributor for pedorsoli they have all ways used american nipple threds 1/4-28,outher italian manufacturers use metric threds.
bernie :thumbsup:

Thank you for the comment. A number of manufacturers have made the " Kodiak " rifle. Just because someone says theirs is a Pedersoli doesn't mean it really IS a Pedersoli. When you can examine the gun in person, and actually read the markings on the barrel, THEN you can believe what is being told you. That is the only reason I said for him to check both.

The fact that he is having trouble seating the one nipple caused me pause. I don't know if the trouble is from dirty threads, no oil, or the shooter trying to " Crush Fit " the nipple in the gun. Or because a prior owner did a " Crush Fit" and damaged the rifling.

There are usually multiple reasons a gun shows up on the used gun market. Screwing around with the wrong nipples, and then covering it up is one of the more common things people Don't notice when buying a used percussion rifle. You really need a bore light, a nipple wrench, cleaning patches and your own 3-piece cleaning rod in your back pocket when looking over percussion rifles for sale on a used gun rack.

Even with a factory gun, you need that nipple wrench. My brother learned that lesson the hard way when a nipple blew out of a new rifle, because someone crossthreaded the nipple, by using the wrong size nipple in the gun. It held for maybe 15-20 shots, and then disappeared on the next one. I was standing behind him when it went, and we searched and searched for it, and never found it. It was a very early lesson for both of us about nipple thread sizes.

Just because someone says theirs is a Pedersoli doesn't mean it really IS a Pedersoli. When you can examine the gun in person, and actually read the markings on the barrel, THEN you can believe what is being told you. That is the only reason I said for him to check both.

It says Pedersoli on the barrel. It's one made for Cabela's back in the 1980's from what the previous owner told me and that does seem to be correct.

At any rate, I did an alcohol soak and cleanup on the original nipples, swapped them R-L and the rifle shot 100% all day yesterday with about 40 rounds per barrel and no nipple cleans in between volleys. I wanted to see if they'd get clogged but neither did. So I figure these are still good. There was probably just some crudoly in the left bore during my previous trip.

Back