• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nice tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean E Bug

32 cal. or less
Reaction score
I have decided to sell some of my revolvers since I don't shoot them. this means I have some cash to spend on some nice to have tools and components. I am thinking of getting a complete set of gouges in wither 3mm or 6mm a nice set of rifflers to clean up around carvings. any other tools you guys can think of that make gun building easier or more enjoyable? I want to work at getting better at carving and engraving.

Improving the diversity, quality and breadth of your tool chest is certainly one of those things that aids in your ability to do higher quality work, and I applaud your commitment to do so. But the thing that will help the most is your ability to consistently maintain and sharpen them to the point they (and you) are most effective in your work together as a team. Yeah, I know. Sharpening tools is boring and somewhat tedious, but unless you do it well, you won't be able to realize your full potential as a builder.

So on that note;
A power diamond hone for sharpening gravers and gouges would be a "nice to have" tool, but you don't really NEED one. You can get tools just as sharp with regular stones and jigs, and if you like, a small 1"band sander . None of that stuff will set you back more than a couple hundred bucks cumulatively. A power diamond hone IS a fairly expensive item however, as is a Tormek power wet stone.

It's kind of odd and oxymoronic though. As a beginner with little experience we need the help and consistency the machines and jigs can give us to obtain good results. As we get better, and gain experience, we find ourselves needing or using them less and less.

Just like getting to Carnegie Hall--practice practice practice.

Last edited:
I have decided to sell some of my revolvers since I don't shoot them. this means I have some cash to spend on some nice to have tools and components. I am thinking of getting a complete set of gouges in wither 3mm or 6mm a nice set of rifflers to clean up around carvings. any other tools you guys can think of that make gun building easier or more enjoyable? I want to work at getting better at carving and engraving.
I’m assuming you have a bench and vise.

Stocking.....
For stocking a rifle you’ll need the following.
1/2” flat bench chisel
1/4” flat bench chisel ( by far my most used chisel)
A 3/8, Swiss 8/7 or slightly smaller round gouge (for lock noses and ramrod grooves....some times general inletting and some stock shaping when used with the flats)

A good high quality wood rasp, at least the quality of a Nicholson # 49 or # 50. I use a # 50.....
Nicholson has slipped some in quality so some of the euro made or Japanese made rasps may be the wiser choice now.
I can’t stress how important having a good rasp is.

A course rat tail file/rasp

A selection of files

A set of good quality sharpening stones an a piece of thick leather for a strop. Sharpening compound would be nice.
I recommend diamond stones.
I don’t use jigs for me I found them a waste of money and time.

A drill motor and drills

A mallet to drive chisels or gouges...
In a pinch a short hickory sledge type hammer handle can work well.

A non marring hammer. Rubber/dead blow, soft head, etc......the double hammers with the removable heads work great.

A good cross peen hammer.

A back saw or carpenter saw.

A good quality hack saw.

Punches.

Cold chisels.

Brass drift.

A big slack jawed wrench or breech plug tool. I use a giant antique “steam/boiler wrench”.

Wooden pads for your vise.

A propane/map torch, flux and solder....
You’ll use the torch for other stuff besides soldering.

Pliers or side cutters.

Depth gauges

Measuring tools....calipers, machinist squares, rulers.....

Pencils

Markers

Candle

Reading glasses/ magnifying/ Opti visors... You can’t work on what you can’t see.

Lighting

Sand paper and blocks and dowels

Glue

Optional but used a lot...
*1/8” flat bench chisel
* 1/16 flat bench chisel great for triggers and lugs.
* 1” gouge for barrel channels and stock work.

*Bench grinder (can make special tools with it....chisels, drifts etc etc etc......)
* tin snips
*scrapers

A lot of this stuff you will have.
The basics to stock a rifle.....
1/4 chisel
3/8 gouge
Good rasp......

Carving......

3 main methods today
Gouge carving ( with a selection on gouges)

Stabbing in with a stabbing chisel.(Gary Brumfield)....

Free hand with a V chisel/ parting tool (Wallace Gusler)....

Gouge carving.....
Basically a large selection gouges are used for the curves and radius’s in Rococo carving.
It’s hard to say which ones you really need. These probably bought as needed.
This can be very expensive to get a herd of carving gouges.

A stabbing Chisel.....,
This is a method used by Gary Brumfield.
Brumfield used a small custom made stabbing chisel. This small chisel had a slight radius on one side nearly flat on the other. It’s between 1/16-1/8 wide at the most.
The small size and radius was good for stabbing in inscised lines and designs.....
These can be made from cheap chisels, concrete nails or hacksaw blades.....

V tool/parting tool/v chisel....
Used free hand like Wallace Gusler.....

The V tool is used to cut in the design. It’s driven with a small mallet like engraving.

Today I believe most builders and carvers will mix methods.

Tools
Small skew chisel
V or parting tool
Small round gouges
Smaller fishtail gouges

Engraving.....
Graver and mallet.

I just a stocker right now I’m getting ready to carve.

My best recommendation is education.
Videos and books are OK but taking a class or studying under a mentor is by far the best money and time you can spend.

any width is most useful for gouges? I currently use a hammer and chisel for engraving and have a ball vise. I might get some transfer paper to help with my drawing.

I’m assuming you have a bench and vise.

Stocking.....
For stocking a rifle you’ll need the following.
1/2” flat bench chisel
1/4” flat bench chisel ( by far my most used chisel)
A 3/8, Swiss 8/7 or slightly smaller round gouge (for lock noses and ramrod grooves....some times general inletting and some stock shaping when used with the flats)

A good high quality wood rasp, at least the quality of a Nicholson # 49 or # 50. I use a # 50.....
Nicholson has slipped some in quality so some of the euro made or Japanese made rasps may be the wiser choice now.
I can’t stress how important having a good rasp is.

A course rat tail file/rasp

A selection of files

A set of good quality sharpening stones an a piece of thick leather for a strop. Sharpening compound would be nice.
I recommend diamond stones.
I don’t use jigs for me I found them a waste of money and time.

A drill motor and drills

A mallet to drive chisels or gouges...
In a pinch a short hickory sledge type hammer handle can work well.

A non marring hammer. Rubber/dead blow, soft head, etc......the double hammers with the removable heads work great.

A good cross peen hammer.

A back saw or carpenter saw.

A good quality hack saw.

Punches.

Cold chisels.

Brass drift.

A big slack jawed wrench or breech plug tool. I use a giant antique “steam/boiler wrench”.

Wooden pads for your vise.

A propane/map torch, flux and solder....
You’ll use the torch for other stuff besides soldering.

Pliers or side cutters.

Depth gauges

Measuring tools....calipers, machinist squares, rulers.....

Pencils

Markers

Candle

Reading glasses/ magnifying/ Opti visors... You can’t work on what you can’t see.

Lighting

Sand paper and blocks and dowels

Glue

Optional but used a lot...
*1/8” flat bench chisel
* 1/16 flat bench chisel great for triggers and lugs.
* 1” gouge for barrel channels and stock work.

*Bench grinder (can make special tools with it....chisels, drifts etc etc etc......)
* tin snips
*scrapers

A lot of this stuff you will have.
The basics to stock a rifle.....
1/4 chisel
3/8 gouge
Good rasp......

Carving......

3 main methods today
Gouge carving ( with a selection on gouges)

Stabbing in with a stabbing chisel.(Gary Brumfield)....

Free hand with a V chisel/ parting tool (Wallace Gusler)....

Gouge carving.....
Basically a large selection gouges are used for the curves and radius’s in Rococo carving.
It’s hard to say which ones you really need. These probably bought as needed.
This can be very expensive to get a herd of carving gouges.

A stabbing Chisel.....,
This is a method used by Gary Brumfield.
Brumfield used a small custom made stabbing chisel. This small chisel had a slight radius on one side nearly flat on the other. It’s between 1/16-1/8 wide at the most.
The small size and radius was good for stabbing in inscised lines and designs.....
These can be made from cheap chisels, concrete nails or hacksaw blades.....

V tool/parting tool/v chisel....
Used free hand like Wallace Gusler.....

The V tool is used to cut in the design. It’s driven with a small mallet like engraving.

Today I believe most builders and carvers will mix methods.

Tools
Small skew chisel
V or parting tool
Small round gouges
Smaller fishtail gouges

Engraving.....
Graver and mallet.

I just a stocker right now I’m getting ready to carve.

My best recommendation is education.
Videos and books are OK but taking a class or studying under a mentor is by far the best money and time you can spend.
GOOD GOLLY! I made a full time living using far less tools than that!

Latest posts

Back