• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Next project rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job cleaning up the lock. You probably already know this but others may not. have found the best backing for holding the flint is to hammer a round ball thin, then once it's wrapped around the flint trim the edges with a knife. Works better than leather, my grandfather taught me that.

After re-inletting the thimble so it holds the ramrod close in the channel the extra wood has been removed from the forearm. Six small escutcheons will be added to the pin holes that hold the barrel down. The sides of them are first filed smooth then each is bent to match the curve of the stock. They will be pinned in to hold them no glue is needed. The first one went OK only five more to go!
IMG_0491 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Almost finished, until I took the front sight out to replace the blade. Let’s not go into details but I and my wife spent hours searching the shop, I’ll make a new one that will be better and easier. The escutcheons helped and re-inletting the trigger guard. Trimming the forearm down and removing the filler/stain/ finish then a water based stain and oil finish shows off the wood a bit better.
IMG_0503 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Did all I intend to on this rifle and shot it today. The front sight I made for it is brass base with a silver blade placed in my best guess for center. After five plinking shots with patches that came with the rifle I loaded with some patch that although slightly thicker were thinner than my usual. All but one of the ten were blown and burnt. Still the rifle worked perfectly and shows that fine groups could be made with little effort. Fifty seven grains of 2fg and a .530 ball target at fifty yards. Just leaning over he hood of the Jeep. I’ll take it to next weeks shooting match if weather is decent to see if I can find a buyer.
IMG_0063 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Back