• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Simple inletting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
The used rifle that is my current project would benefit from escutcheons at the barrel pins. I thought some may find it interesting to see how I do it. First the escutcheons are made and the edges filed smooth with a bit of draft. The hole for the pin is drilled a few thousands oversized with the back side filed at an angle to allow the escutcheons to tilt to match the stock. Placed on the stock a light line is scribed around it trying to stay under it. Some chock dust shows it for the camera, this allows the balk of the wood to be removed before inletting starts. Once seated the holes are drilled for brass pins that can be made to fit. The tip is peened to act as the head. Filed flat then sanded they nearly disappear.
IMG_0497 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0498 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0499 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0494 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0496 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great work Phil. Do you glue the nails in place? I've angled them upwards so they go through in to the barrel channel, and then bend them over in to a little channel I cut for them. Then epoxy the channel. Chamfering the inside of the estrucheon holes helps too.

Interesting! I have a friend who told me that another method was to cut some nails out of nickel silver and tap them into place through holes drilled in the escutcheons. I have a rifle I stocked and just epoxied them in but that's a cheesy way of doing it. I need to pin them to make it look right and I'm looking for ideas.

I don’t use epoxy, as up to now none have come loose. On some tiny screws are used or the pins are thin pieces of German silver sheet metal driven in and peened. I haven’t driven them threw or bent them, that would be extra strong where possible. My escutcheons don’t touch the pin or keys so there is little stress on them. Hope these pictures help others add details to their projects.
C0744EA9-2C5C-4462-AA6F-4DC344891BF5 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back