• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Next project rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Got another used rifle to fiddle with, this is an English sporting rifle that is a kit from Chambers muzzleloaders. The lock was used as cast so I’ll stone all the casting marks off and trim some extra wood off and replace the brass screws. The Rice barrel will get better sights and touch up the finish. Than anything else that catch’s my eye. My kind of fun!
IMG_0484 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I’m not bright enough to work in a mess, I have to put things away to be able to find them again.
This one is fifty four and the forearm is a bit fat and the sights are to big for my taste. The swamped barrel makes for a nice handling rifle and lighter then it looks.

Might just be the photo but the rear sight looks to be pretty far forward.
I think it is the barrel being shorter than the longrifles we are used to, or fowling pieces with that style trigger guard, that is creating the illusion that the rear sight is farther forward than normal. Compare it's position in relation to the ramrod entry pipe and it seems pretty normal.

I personally like mine further back, bit as long as it isn't right where I want to wrap my hand around to carry the gun,,, I can work with it.

Got another used rifle to fiddle with, this is an English sporting rifle that is a kit from Chambers muzzleloaders. The lock was used as cast so I’ll stone all the casting marks off and trim some extra wood off and replace the brass screws. The Rice barrel will get better sights and touch up the finish. Than anything else that catch’s my eye. My kind of fun!
IMG_0484 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Looks good now, so I am expecting to see pics of it looking fantastic in the near future.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this progresses. That’s a nice looking rifle, and I have no doubt it will be even nicer when @Phil Coffins is finished with it.

Those English sporting rifles look like a handy and authentic alternative to Germanic jeager rifles. Both tend to have larger bores, lighter weight, shorter barrels, and flatter butts when compared to American longrifles. These are features today’s muzzleloading hunters seem to want. I’m surprised these English rifles are not more popular… looks to me like they were born to hunt!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I've been looking at that rifle on the chambers site. It looks like it would make into a fine elk rifle in a 54 or 58.

Does yours have the rather complex pierced side plate? I'm intimidated looking at it.

Yes, that one is not as complicated. Still intimidating for my skill level. 🤪

Here's a photo from the chambers site showing the plate that comes with the kit. Not for your benefit, Phil but just for context for others following the topic.
RK-12.jpg

The lock was installed with out any of the parting lines or casting surfaces being finished. Upon disassembly care was required to remove the rust that would impede a good finish. I’ll start by filing then stoning everything then decide what finish if any will be done. After that some parts will be re-inlet then the extra wood will come off.
IMG_0487 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0488 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I'd inlet the trigger guard too while you're at it!. Might consider some english carving at the breech and some engraving too. :thumb:

Attachments

• civilbuss7.jpg
    civilbuss7.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
  • clemonsfowler8.jpg
    clemonsfowler8.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 0
  • jr5e.jpg
    jr5e.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 0
  • m9a.jpg
    m9a.jpg