• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member from Richmond, Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a new member mostly interested in bench rest shooting and perhaps some friendly local competition. I have a Thompson Center Arms Hawken .50 cal made in the early 1970s that I inherited from my uncle; and I just purchased a Ron Long Percussion Underhammer competition rifle made in 1985 with a 36" long heavy barrel with false muzzle marked .502 so I'm assuming .50 with a patch. The underhammer didn't have sights on it, but I have temporarily mounted modern sights on it: Redfield Olympic front globe sight and a RPA? Competition rear sight.
I haven’t shot the Hawken since the 80s and I did not find molds or any other blackpowder related items in with his reloading gear, so I need pretty much everything to set up to shoot these rifles. Any recommendations of equipment or suppliers would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Montie

Attachments

• 20230414_163640.jpg
    20230414_163640.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230414_163816.jpg
    20230414_163816.jpg
    661.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pix103654831.jpg
    pix103654831.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 0
  • Thompson Center Hawken.jpg
    Thompson Center Hawken.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 0
Welcome, there isn't anywhere in Houston to buy powder, or supplies of any kind that I know of besides 10 Ring, on Jones Road in Cypress. They have some patches, some balls, usually some powder, sometimes some caps. They are reasonably local to me and the guys that work there are decent so I do buy some stuff there, but the majority of my supply comes from online orders. Dixie Gunworks, Track of the Wolf, places like that.

Thank you for the welcome thomas and HSmithTX, as well as the info. Good to know about 10 ring, but online is certainly very convenient. Any local muzzleloader clubs or events?
The only range/club that I am aware of is Greenwood Gun Club in Clute; they have Muzzleloader events open to the public, but membership is already at their max, and you have to apply in December (at least as I understand it). When I can shoot at a range I generally go to American Shooting Center or Bailey's House of Guns.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I'm a new member mostly interested in bench rest shooting and perhaps some friendly local competition. I have a Thompson Center Arms Hawken .50 cal made in the early 1970s that I inherited from my uncle; and I just purchased a Ron Long Percussion Underhammer competition rifle made in 1985 with a 36" long heavy barrel with false muzzle marked .502 so I'm assuming .50 with a patch. The underhammer didn't have sights on it, but I have temporarily mounted modern sights on it: Redfield Olympic front globe sight and a RPA? Competition rear sight.
I haven’t shot the Hawken since the 80s and I did not find molds or any other blackpowder related items in with his reloading gear, so I need pretty much everything to set up to shoot these rifles. Any recommendations of equipment or suppliers would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Montie
Welcome fellow Texan.

Welcome to the group and the Houston Black Powder Desert.

Carter Country used to stock some round ball, but I checked a couple weeks ago and they had none in stock. Bass Pro/Gander might have some. The Fire Marshall hit all the BP stocking dealers some 15-20 years ago and informed them that if they had a fire, they were on their own since they had black powder on site. Collectors Firearms got out of the BP business at that point. Rebel Arms lost their property about that same time to build a school, and Fountain Firearms has closed. I mail order for everything I cannot find off a trade blanket at rendezvous. My favorites are Dixie Gun Works, Track, Deer Creek and Coonies. Always been treated well by these folks, though there are many other good sutlers.

The Alvin York Over the Log shoot held near Chattanooga TN might be of interest to you. Long drive, but very popular.

Stop by at the ASC range and say Howdy if you see some old guy trying to learn to shoot a flintlock. I'm half convinced they're the invention of the Devil, but are so much fun. But I think the old saying I read on this Forum is true, but I have a lot of learnin' to do:

"If you learn to shoot a flintlock accurately, you can shoot anything."

Welcome from Maine. Members sell everything you need in the classified section of the forum. Be sure to read the guidelines.
Nit Wit

Back