• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie from..."gulp"...Seattle area... :/

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello gents,

My name is Dow...I am 40, work for the railroad, and live about 30 miles southeast of Seattle, although I am NOT originally from this state. I was born and raised in Texas, but got out of the military up here and got a good job many moons ago...I have a home, a family...and now I'm stuck.

Either way....I'm just saying hello and hope to learn little bit about the couple blackpowder firearms I have. I only have 2....and my first one is a Pedersoli double barrel .72 caliber rifle that I bought 20+ years ago when I was in the Navy for $500...first gun I ever bought. The other is an older shotgun that I am unfamiliar with, but I will post some photos in the identification section shortly.

I'm also a volunteer at a railroad/coal mining museum, and I explore old towns and coal mines in my off time.

Glad to be here and thanks for having me,

Dow
Welcome aboard

Pull up a camp chair, friend. My sweetie's brother works for BNSF up there. Lived in Fircrest 1961-68.
I had one of those Kodiaks in .72 and miss it as it was just a dang hoot to shoot with a 730-grain "cotton spool" conical.
Thank you. I’m also with the BN…who is your sweetie’s brother?

That .72 is fun…but I’m all about practical these days, and I really don’t have much use for it. I’m sad to report that it doesn’t get much use.

Here’s a photo of the Kodiak with the old shotgun I recently bought. Man…that Kodiak is 5 times heavier than the other…which is an attribute I really don’t care for. Looks like the same size bore….but one is smooth…and one is rifled.

Attachments

• IMG_1990.jpeg
    IMG_1990.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1991.jpeg
    IMG_1991.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1993.jpeg
    IMG_1993.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the welcome buddy! Steam left the US I believe around ‘59 or ‘60…I think the N&W was the last major freight railroad to use it. So…you were Australian army in the 60’s..? Did you serve in Vietnam?

Dow
Bit earlier than that, I should have said when steam was on the way out.
I served in Korea, when Vietnam was on I was in the part time army and declined the kind offer to go there!
By that time I was a civilian armourer in the Department of Defence working in a military workshop so was in support of the troops in Vietnam.

Welcome.

If you're a Jerry Reed fan, you need to listen to the Primos version of the song Amos Moses.
I appreciate the shout out and welcome good buddy…but man…I can’t get on board with Primus…not my bag. I remember listening to their version of Amos Moses over 20 years ago and not being crazy about it….although I was pleased that they were interested enough in Jerry to cover it. We’re all different.

Bit earlier than that, I should have said when steam was on the way out.
I served in Korea, when Vietnam was on I was in the part time army and declined the kind offer to go there!
By that time I was a civilian armourer in the Department of Defence working in a military workshop so was in support of the troops in Vietnam.
Oh man…I knew we had our Aussie and Kiwi brothers in Vietnam, but wasn’t aware you all were alongside us in Korea. Thanks for having the guts to go over there!

Welcome from Alberta. If memory serves Reed and Glen Campbell played some mean guitar duets on Glens old tv show.
They sure did…along with banjo player Larry McNeely. Glen and Jerry were pretty good friends and went all over the place together…touring the world playing music. They were on the Tom Jones show several times and played all over Europe!

Back