• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I should of put that up when I said 62/20 and 12 g gets to be fun, dont know what part of the 12 is fun, but the 62/20 is a real blast rifled or smooth. :grin: Im guessing the flint will be like the perc switch barrels anytime? Fred :hatsoff:

fw said:
Im guessing the flint will be like the perc switch barrels anytime? Fred :hatsoff:

Fred,,

This first pistol will be flint only, with one barrel/caliber. Once I get my 'deffication in sequence!' :winking: I'd figure on some barrel/caliber switching options. and if the Modification I'm thinking of would work :hmm: I could have a gun that would allow me to shoot in either a percussion or flint only competitions..

My rifle design is still on paper, but 'should allow' for a couple of different barrel options.
Just because I rarely design one, without the plan to add a couple of different calibers..

Gotta get healed up first!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

I have a couple of smooth bore blanks in the pile of barrels, I will look to see if there are any 54s or 58s. These will be in the round but a little time in the mill can knock those round corners off and make them octagon. I like to make barrels half round/octagon with the wedding band.

Hey John have you been making those underhammer actions yet? I saw your post where you said you figured out a way to bend them.

Gmww :hatsoff:

thanks my breech plug is held in with 3allen set screw :thumbsup: 1 on top and 1 each side yes i also am very fond of the oct-to-rnd bbls and im willing to settel for any guage .

Beautiful work, outstanding wood. I love the color :thumbsup: Like I was told when I finished my underhammer. Be careful or it's barrels will start to multiple. :rotf:

Question, is the barrel 15/16, 13/16, or 7/8 and what is the tread on the breach plug.
I've being thinking about working on a .36 Cal and I found a barrel that is 36" by 13/16 across the flats, it's threaded for a 9/16 X18 breach plug.
I think this may cause me a problem fitting it in to my underhammer action. The action is setup to receive a 5/8 stud that the 3 allen screws tighten down on.
Maybe there is a machinist out there that can make a plug that is cut for a thread of 9/16 X 18 with a non-threaded end that is 5/8 dia. and 5/8 long. Can anyone help with this? :hmm:

I don't know is I was clear, I hope you know what I mean.

I know the gunsmith. Contact John Taylor. He's done work for me, Fw, and I believe a couple of others. Sorry John. Don't mean to over load you.
:hatsoff:

the bbl is 7/8 but i have no idea of the breech plug deminsion or threds, all i know is that if you loosen the set screws you can slip the bbl out of the receiver ,but other than that i would be "dumber than a box of rocks" that why i want to find some to make a smooth bbl for me so i can just slip in in or out with the set screws, :redface:

Our buddy FW set me up with a .62 cal smoothbore barrel to put on. I know it's large but its for turkey hunting and that odd elephant that might show up.

:rotf:

Yours is the way they all work (later ones without a pin holding barrel. Not sure why you want a 36 cal smooth but your frame should be 1 1/8th and will take any size barrel - up to 1 1/18th. Fred :hatsoff: unless it was a one of a kind or H+A hade smaller frames for the 36 ,I'll ck if no no knows. Nope yours will take any barrel.fw

i dont want a .36 smooth im willing to take any i just wanted a 54 to start with for squriell and rabbits the bbl i have now is a .36cal :thumbsup:

Ok I got it wrong, I'll take a look but 20s are all Im sure Ive got ,might dig one up off a friend that has a 12g barrel he wants to get rid of. Fred :hatsoff:

Fred,
Sorry if I confussed anyone.
I'm the one with the 36CAL. rifled barrel. I'm just looking for someone to make a breach plug for it.

I can make your breach plug. Is the barrel already threaded?

I forgot to look for a shot barrel. I'm a little out of it today, the dentist took out a couple of wisdom teeth. Guess I wasn't wise enough to have them.

You can get the 20 for a bit over a 100 most any place and its set for the right size breech plug I think ?(you need to pull your barrel out and measure the hole across the frame to be sure and John can put in a nip hole and sight really quick most days. Fred :hatsoff:

Back