• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Draw filing.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For new files at a reasonable price the Bahco files are good. Find a single cut 8" to 12" smooth cut. Antique shops are a good place to look for old, USA made Black Diamond & Nicholson files that still have good life left in them. Growing up my Dad had dozens of great files and I took having them for granted. Now I wish I had taken better care of them. I still have a couple of good USA made Nicholson files, but I hesitate to use them much now until I can find one or two more. Another thing is that unless you buy a well made and expensive Swiss file or the like, any new file you buy now is a disposable tool, they will not last long with constant use.
Is Smooth Cut the only 'grit' (what the heck is it called for a file?) you need?

Mine is a barrel from Kibler and to be honest, it looks pretty good as it is.

Hi, I'm re-browning my 36" 58 caliber octagon bbl, finding difficulty with sanding off the existing browning. I'm using 180 and 200 grit silicone carbide paper, and the bbl has some seemingly deep parallel scratches that I can't sand out, so far, and I'm sanding long and hard. I picked up a new double cut bastard, which works great and is real fast but I'm not coordinated enough to keep it on the flats well enough, and I don't want to round the flats even a little. I cut two dozen 1" X 1" X 2 1/2 inch pieces of birch and glued sandpaper on each of 4 sides to help with sanding, but those scratches don't sand out. I'm considering cleaning it up as best I can, degrease it well, and go ahead and brown it with B-C Plum Brown. I successfully re-browned a different octagon bbl 40 years ago but the barrel prep went a lot better and it turned out great. Any suggestions?
Jim Kibler has a good video on draw filing. Worth a look.

Back