• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Draw filing.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might not be able to do that, as my tremor doesn't let me keep the file from rocking on the flats. It would help to un-sweat the thimbles etc. but paradoxically I don't want to incur the job of re-sweating them. Any prediction of what would happen if I leave those few fine browned scratches and go ahead with degreasing and re-browning?
I'm 76. 5 years ago I had consistent hand tremors, marked it down as age. Later saw a doctor on another matter and mentioned it. He prescribed Ropninol, 2 or 3 per day. That absolutely stopped the tremors making my hands steady for close work and for shooting. U might want to try it. No side affects.

I had a friend who developed hand tremors after retiring. Two years later he was dead from ALS.

30 minutes to an hour to draw file a longrifle barrel. Sharp Swiss files, clean often (like every 3-4 strokes), keep them level by choking up on the file blade and running both thumbs against the adjacent barrel flats as a guide. If you have to use a lot of downpressure, your file is dull. Let the file do the work, it shouldn't take any more pressure than putting an edge on a chisel. Draw file up to your thimbles and do the section you can't reach with the appropriate grit of hard-backed sandpaper or nail board and blend it in carefully, this will require a tiny bit of experimentation but browning tends to "melt" the microscopic surfaces and obscures slight differences in finish.

I'm amazed looking at the responces , that nobody has suggested a way of keeping their draw files from clogging up with filings , and further scratching the steel surface. In my experience , somebody taught me to apply chalk to the file teeth before draw filing. It's like magic , how a little play ground chalk works on file teeth keeping them clean so a dirty file doesn't ruine the filed surface.
I’ve not found chalk to be beneficial when draw filing. A good quality sharp mill file does the job.

With some practice, it’s actually a pretty fast process that produces amazing results. I’m sure I’ve shown it on videos.

I watched a video on Jim Kibler's web site and he recommended Bahco files, I was needing some new files anyway so I thought I would give them a try.

They worked so much better than my Nicholson files for draw filing that I bought more and the Nicholson files will eventually become knife blades.

I watched a video on Jim Kibler's web site and he recommended Bahco files, I was needing some new files anyway so I thought I would give them a try.

They worked so much better than my Nicholson files for draw filing that I bought more and the Nicholson files will eventually become knife blades.
I've had good luck with the Bahco files too.

I’ve seen some that made me wonder if draw filing was needed at all, then others that the machine work looked like dull cutters with no coolant on a shaky set up. Each one can be very different.

Hi, I'm re-browning my 36" 58 caliber octagon bbl, finding difficulty with sanding off the existing browning. I'm using 180 and 200 grit silicone carbide paper, and the bbl has some seemingly deep parallel scratches that I can't sand out, so far, and I'm sanding long and hard. I picked up a new double cut bastard, which works great and is real fast but I'm not coordinated enough to keep it on the flats well enough, and I don't want to round the flats even a little. I cut two dozen 1" X 1" X 2 1/2 inch pieces of birch and glued sandpaper on each of 4 sides to help with sanding, but those scratches don't sand out. I'm considering cleaning it up as best I can, degrease it well, and go ahead and brown it with B-C Plum Brown. I successfully re-browned a different octagon bbl 40 years ago but the barrel prep went a lot better and it turned out great. Any suggestions?

Hi, I'm re-browning my 36" 58 caliber octagon bbl, finding difficulty with sanding off the existing browning. I'm using 180 and 200 grit silicone carbide paper, and the bbl has some seemingly deep parallel scratches that I can't sand out, so far, and I'm sanding long and hard. I picked up a new double cut bastard, which works great and is real fast but I'm not coordinated enough to keep it on the flats well enough, and I don't want to round the flats even a little. I cut two dozen 1" X 1" X 2 1/2 inch pieces of birch and glued sandpaper on each of 4 sides to help with sanding, but those scratches don't sand out. I'm considering cleaning it up as best I can, degrease it well, and go ahead and brown it with B-C Plum Brown. I successfully re-browned a different octagon bbl 40 years ago but the barrel prep went a lot better and it turned out great. Any suggestions?
Great info, guys. Actually the file I'm using is a 12" single cut medium, not a double cut. I'
Great info, guys, good advice. Actually the file I'm using is a 12" single cut medium, not a double cut. I'll apply Phil Collins' and TDS' suggestions and try wet sanding, then degreasing, then browning. I've decided to tone down my perfectionism, so I won't look too closely at the results. I'm old and infirm and need to take the quick way out now. Then I'll keep the barrel well greased, and just shoot
Great info, guys, good advice. Actually the file I'm using is a 12" single cut medium, not a double cut. I'll apply Phil Collins' and TDS' suggestions and try wet sanding, then degreasing, then browning. I've decided to tone down my perfectionism, so I won't look too closely at the results. I'm old and infirm and need to take the quick way out now. Then I'll keep the barrel well greased, and just shoot.
I'm 76. 5 years ago I had consistent hand tremors, marked it down as age. Later saw a doctor on another matter and mentioned it. He prescribed Ropninol, 2 or 3 per day. That absolutely stopped the tremors making my hands steady for close work and for shooting. U might want to try it. No side affects.
Thank you, I hever heard of that one. I checked it out.
You are very lucky to escape the side effects of Ropninol, a dopamine promoter. Dopamine is great, but I'll choose this mostly benign tremor over the myriad possible debilitating side effects of Ropninol. I do take propanol, which does help.

All that's needed.

Attachments

• file card.jpg
    file card.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back