• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NEW Traditions Mountain rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazz1975

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So...Has anyone bought and shot one of these yet? Range report? Would like to buy one if it is a decent shooter.

If you want a very accurate rifle go with a CVA Mountain rifle or a big bore Mountain rifle they are very accurate

Muzzle-Loaders dot com has them listed. $538.00 flint, $488.00 percussion. kits $460.00 flint, $428.00 percussion. shows them to be in stock.
www.muzzle-loaders.com

Last edited by a moderator:
censors at work. you'll hafta figger it out from the openin' statement.

They changed the trigger guard to a more Hawken style, and the end cap looks to be finished same color as the barrel instead of the pot-metal "pewter" cap. Other than that it looks a lot like the CVA version. Same 32 inch barrel length.

I don't see any caliber other than .50, though.

It should give the GPR a run for it's money.

nice lookin' guns other than that too skinny, fragile-lookin' wrist and that tacky little patchbox. and judgin' by the pix, they carried on the CVA "tradition" of inlettin' the triggers too deep in the stock.

doubt it. Traditions has been doing a solid job with inletting and even upgrading their machining to make inletting even tighter than in the past. The stocks wrist area is also beefed up from previous years.

Theres nothing thin about this wrist. In fact, I have an original highly figured maple stock from a cva mountain rifle sitting on my work table right now that i can look at and compare.

Also note that the kit uses brass trim.
tradit10.jpg

tradit11.jpg

The Traditions Mountain Rifle maintains the classic styling and handling of time-honored sidelock rifles, while offering great performance and affordability. The Mountain Rifle Kit .50 caliber muzzleloader sports a longer 32" octagonal barrel, giving it an overall length of 48" and weight of 8.15 lbs.

The Mountain Rifle maintains the classic styling and handling of time-honored Sidelock rifles, while offering great performance and affordability. The rifle boasts a hooked breech for easy barrel removal, and click-adjustable rear hunting sight.

The .50 Caliber Mountain Rifle features a double-set trigger in an oversized glove-fitting, trigger-guard with finger rest. The rifle also comes complete with classic brass embellishments and inlaid solid brass patch box.

The stock is made of Select Hardwood ( Beechwood)
Available in both Factory and Kit form!

Barrel:
.50cal - 1:48 Twist - 32" Brown Cerakote Finish

Prices:
Pre-built - $488
Kit Form - $426

if you can't see how far up in the stock those triggers are or how much empty space is in the triggerguard below them, next time you get to a town stop in & see the optometrist.

looks fine to me. The LOP on my hawken woodsman are both 14" at the trigger point. Perfect for my size. As for that little gap, bend the trigger guard inward if you buy one. Not like it hurts the function of the rifle

who even said anything about the length-of-pull? and bendin' the triggerguard ain't gonna make the triggers stick out of the stock any further from that overly deep CVA inlet.

haven't drunk any 'shine since all the old pros from Franklin County "The Moonshine Capital of the World" died or went out of business. :wink:

but, of what I can remember(probably forgettin' a few), I've owned 3 CVA Frontiers plus one extra stock assembly, 3 CVA Hawkens, one of the ugly two-piece stocked Kentucky Rifles, and one Mountain Rifle. and with the possible exception of the Kentucky(I never took it out of the box to see) the biggest flaw with all of them was the triggers were inlet too deep into the stock & about 1/2 of them required shimmin' to work properly. while they were all excellent shooters, this has always in my opinion been a big flaw in CVA's guns.

your mileage may vary. :idunno:

a lot of that happens due to the tang screw.Its metal being pulled into wood. I bed all of my trigger and tangs now. Zero issues since doing it. May give that a try if you find your tang screws loose at the end of a shoot.

Well danggunit!!

BOTH, the flintlock and percussion models showed up today!! They did a beautiful job on them.

Going back now to look them over.

The cerakote finish is really nice as well.

As far as I know, I am the only person to have pulled the trigger on one of these new mountain rifles! I was surprised but they brought back a huge favorite of mine on this model. The hexagon ramrod thimbles!
IMG_7716.jpg
IMG_7711.jpg

NICE rifles but they do look a lot like cva mountain rifle but for the patch box in trigger guard you gotta tell us how it shoots :bow:

Back