• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Traditional BP Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris69

32 Cal
Reaction score
I found a TC New Englander .50 cal locally, clean bore, no rust, some minor bumps and bruises on the wood and needs some clean up. $275 OTD seemed like a decent price to me but I am certainly no expert on values for these types of firearms. Did I get a decent deal, is this a good rifle to introduce me to traditional muzzle loading ? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpeg
    IMG_2246.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
Welcome to the forum! Yes you did fine. Now if you find a 12 gauge barrel for a New Englander you'll have a rifle and smoothbore in one! Do a lot of reading and asking questions on this forum and you'll figure out everything you need to get started. Better yet, seek out a muzzleloading club in your area. Have fun! Justin

Welcome to the forum! Yes you did fine. Now if you find a 12 gauge barrel for a New Englander you'll have a rifle and smoothbore in one! Do a lot of reading and asking questions on this forum and you'll figure out everything you need to get started. Better yet, seek out a muzzleloading club in your area. Have fun! Justin
I’m hoping my pal @windini will guide me through the world of traditional BP shooting but I’ll be on the lookout for clubs as well. Thanks.

That's a good start, and a good quality gun for a great price!

Get balls .490 or .495, pillow ticking patching, powder and caps to feed it. 60 grains of fff would be a good start
Thank you for the information, that will give me a good starting point. As of now, I only have Pyrodex RS, still on the hunt for the ever elusive caps. Would real BP be a better option than the substitutes? Thanks.

Thank you for the information, that will give me a good starting point. As of now, I only have Pyrodex RS, still on the hunt for the ever elusive caps. Would real BP be a better option than the substitutes? Thanks.
Real bp should generally be better, however it depends on what the rifle likes. Bench fire them both and see, all part of the fun

Real BP is always better in my opinion ; but many of us , including myself, have and do do shoot Pyrodex without issue.

Either 2F or 3F BP will work fine but you may find with the shorter barrel that 3F will preform better. No matter what you use make sure to properly clean the bore before the sunsets after shooting.

Mine is deadly accurate with a .495 ball, very thin patch ( pants pocket lining) and an equal measure of cream of wheat over the powder. That’s 1- powder charge.2- equal measure of cream of wheat. 3. Patched round ball. One hole groups at 50 yards- with a slightly pitted bore. The best part- this rifle only cost me $100!

I bought my 54 Cal New Englander brand new in about 1989. I had the barrel relined by Bobby Hoyt a year ago. If I had oiled the bore properly that could have been avoided. It's still a great shooter and I'm hunting with it this fall. Great gun!

Mine is deadly accurate with a .495 ball, very thin patch ( pants pocket lining) and an equal measure of cream of wheat over the powder. That’s 1- powder charge.2- equal measure of cream of wheat. 3. Patched round ball. One hole groups at 50 yards- with a slightly pitted bore. The best part- this rifle only cost me $100!
@Chris69 has found a very good entry level rifle I to traditional muzzleloading. While real black powder is best, sometimes Pyrodex is all that is available. Try Pyrodex PS as a bit faster powder.

And for Sam Squanch, the fabric used for pants pocket lining is my long time favorite material, #40 Drill Cloth, to be found in the utility cloth bin at JoAnn's Fabrics.

Latest posts

Back