• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New (to me) CVA Mountain Rifle!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim C

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Been looking for a couple of yrs now for just the right one and I finally got it today, and man is she a real beauty. The 50 cal bore is bright and shiny. The barrel and hardware is a beautiful smooth and even chocolate rust brown except for the German silver patch box, barrel wedge escutcheons, lock plate screw escutcheons, nose cap, and ramrod ends. The stock is maple with some figure, and an oil finish. It looks like a real antique, but at the same time, unused. It appears to me that it has never been fired. It has the two screw patch box but doesn't have the ramrod tension spring on the barrel rib. Whats really unusual, at least to me anyway, is that it doesn't have a single marking anywhere, not even proof marks or a serial number, which tends to lead me to believe that it has possibly been professionally antiqued. I would love to post some pics but I'm having a real hard time with the system that's in use on this site due to my limited basic computer abilities. I did get a photobucket account, but I'll never figure it out w/o some extremely detailed instructions. Wish it was as simple as adding an attachment to an email, but oh well.

I've only seen pictures of them up until now. This is the first one I've ever held in my hands. It's slimmer trimmer, a little shorter and lighter than my GPR. I really like it a lot. Like I said, it looks like it's been in a safe it's entire life. I wish there was some way to tell the age of it. No markings whatsoever.

Congratulations!
I have heard so many good comments about the CVA Mountain Rifle that I would like one some day.
Not that I need another muzzleloader. :grin:
Ron

Congrats on your new rifle, I am sure you will enjoy it. I always liked the looks of Mountain Rifle, and back in the day (late 70's early 80's) it was one of the more traditional looking production rifles, and it was affordable, I wanted a GRRW, could only afford a MR. For some reason though the ergonomics of the MR is wrong for me, other production rifles fit me better.

Deer Creek, in Waldron, IN, has assembled a number of MR rifle's over the years, perhaps yours is one of the Deer Creek variants. In 1997 Deer Creek put together 300 for CVA, I believe those are marked as CVA's, I think the others were left unmarked. Last year I came across an unmarked MR in .54 at the OGCA show and assume it was a Deer Creek product. There are some excellent MR threads on this forum if you are interest.

Thanks for your input Will. Yes, ergonomically incorrect for me would be the lack of drop in the comb of the stock. I guess I can live with that though. Other than that she's pretty well right on.

My wife got me a MR last year as a birthday and anniversary present. Mine is a 58 with a beautiful birdseye maple stock. The barrel is absolutely flawless. It shoots as good as it looks too. I guess I am one of the lucky ones because the stock ergonomics actually fit me. Best of luck with yours, I am sure you will enjoy it.

If you get to post some photos we can narrow down its age as there were a number of changes made to them over the years.

Unlike the Investarms rifles, I've never seen a CVA with a ramrod spring on the under rib, they are in the ramrod channel secured by the forward lock screw. That is of course, if they didn't get lost or tossed over the years!

Got a friend that's a computer geek. I'm working on lining it up with him, he's always busy, to show me how to make the photo process work, then I'll post away.

yes the stock is a might thinner than most other rifles. Mine is too. But fits me perfect.

And mine has no markings either.
Just Connecticut Valley firearms, Black Powder only, 50 caliber and the serial number.
I got mine in 1978
And nope Nothing under the barrel.

As you all can see, my photography skills are about on par with my computer skills.

Well congrats anyways Jim, pics or not. They are fine feeling rifles. I too have one that is completely unmarked cept for the caliber (.45). It was sold to me as being a deercreek kit gun. CVA's..mountain rifles in particular seem to come in many various configurations.

Thanks JonnyReb. Yeah, I thought that was really unusual, mine has no SN or anything else. From what another member was telling me I tend to believe now that mine too is a Deer Creek version. And yes, they do come in a dizzying array of configurations. If it's a kit gun whoever put it together done a real nice job. It's readily apparent that it's never been shot too. I can't wait to be the first to shoot it. Never had a gun before that's never been shot, and don't intend to either. :grin:

Thanks Bull, I'll be wringing 'er out real good as soon as this rainy spell ends here.

Oops! Sorry, I didn't realize that if I deleted the pics from photobucket that it would delete them from here as well.

Yes, it will.

If you post a link to your pictures @ Photobucket (or anywhere else), do not delete them, move them to another Photobucket file or change their names.

The Forum computer goes to the pictures site and looks for that particular address and name.
If it isn't there for whatever reason we get a big blank on our end.

Back