• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying a maker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangerbuck

32 Cal
Reaction score
Have a percussion 50 cal rifle i am trying to identify.
Specs are as follows
Barrel: octagon with 7/8” across the flats; 37” muzzle to breech plug; 37&5/8” total
8 rifling grooves
Lock has an unusual (to me anyway) half and full cock
Brass furniture: patch box, butt plate, trigger guard, ramrod ferrules
I am making a new ramrod (missing)
Trigger is adjustable.
Eagle and stars and shield inlays
No markings on anything 😡

IMG_5230.jpeg
IMG_5231.jpeg
IMG_5232.jpeg
IMG_5233.jpeg
IMG_5234.jpeg
IMG_5235.jpeg
IMG_5236.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5229.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can’t help ya on an identity, but it sure looks like it is in very good shape. Do you know any of its history and do you plan on shooting it?

Can’t help ya on an identity, but it sure looks like it is in very good shape. Do you know any of its history and do you plan on shooting it?
I do plan to shoot it. Used an endoscope to check the bore. Its sound and in great shape. Only issue Ive found so far is a small lengthwise crack in the stock. Pinned it w a brass rod under the butt plate.
Didnt know these ever had 8 rifling grooves!
As for history all i know is it was handed down thru a family north of State College, PA.
I imagine its a Pennsylvania maker. Just minimal clues present

Ide go with Phil Coffins nice quality piece but better left not shone up like new .
Rudyard's view
Nope. No gonna shine it ip new. Just cleanup layers of dirt and oil built up keeping the lock from holding at half and full. Giving the bore a good cleaning. Replacing the (broken) nipple. Polishing the brass some. Stock dings, dents, scratches are staying. Nothing done to the barrel other than cleaning. Making a ramrod (TOTW oak rod).

let me preface this by saying that i know just enough to know i don't know much.
I am not really sure what i am thinking.!
looking at some of the furniture, it looks contemporary. then the patina on the older appearing fittings like the stylized Eagle is not consistent with the wood patina.
the back action lock is so lacking of any rust or pitting it worries me. and i absolutely love back actions.
the trigger group also has almost no true age patina. it looks like one i have from RE Davis.

all that babbling done, i would be happy to have the gun. it is wonderful. i would love it if my spider senses are no more than gas!!

Latest posts

Back