• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New purchase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been out of black powder shooting for about 20 years and have gotten the urge to get back into it. I just bought this rifle on gunbroker, but the seller didn't have much information on it. Any help on identifying the parts or who built it would be great. Thanks http://www.gunbroker.com/item/694329748 I do realize that I might not be able to find out much about it until I receive it, but that will be a week or so....

Last edited by a moderator:
You can copy the item number and post it on Gunbroker to see a picture. It looks like a nice Southern-style rifle. Has a coned barrel, which is nice. Looks like a Dixie, but it probably isn't.

I like it, as much as you can tell by the photo it's a good looking southren mt style rifle. The lock looks current for the time, general stock shape looks good.

It's listed as sold. Definitely not a Pedersoli Blue Ridge. Probably a good buy at the price they got, but any more I'd be asking for a lot more info.

Looks like my Dixie Mountain rifle. Dixiegunworks Parts changed from time to time since they had them built for them but it should be a good shooter since they used quality parts.

Its not a Dixie Tn Mtn Rifle. 1" .54 barrel and Maslin or Russ Hamm lock. It looks pretty good from the pictures.

Sellers that won't disclose information is a real red flag to me. In my mind, if you are a seller of an item, it is your responsibility to fairly represent, and know what it is you're selling, and to answer questions honestly. I'm not talking about esoteric details about the maker's secrets, but if the stock has a visible crack in it, the seller ought to disclose that.

I had looked at the rifle and noted curly maple stock, 2 lock bolts retaining the flint lock, no grease hole in the stock, better defined lock panels (all different than Dixie in addition to .54cal and 1"). It looks good in the pictures.

What I hadn't tuned in to was no mention of inspection period.

Definitely not the Dixie version, that one was Japanese made and had the grease hole in the butt stock. Nearly any hand made southern rifle will have the maker's name or initials on the barrel or somewhere else. Unless it comes marked Urassis Dragon, you done good! :rotf:

Back