• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Project - Hell on Wheels Griswold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duelist1954

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I like the series "Hell on Wheels". I think it has improved a lot over the three seasons it's been on the air. Somethings they do with guns still drive me nuts, but they have gotten better since the first season.

One of the issues in the first season was the "Griswold" revolver that Anson Mount's character Cullen Bohannon carried. It was supposed to be a confederate Griswold and Gunnison revolver, but really it was a brass-framed 1860 Army revolver, which looks nothing like a real G&G.

From what I've read, they couldn't get a G&G replica for the pilot episode, so hey went with the 1860, and then they were stuck with it.

Anyway, I decided to put together a revolver that could be transformed from the Hell on Wheels Griswold to something that looks more like a real Griswold & Gunnison.

I had to compromise on caliber. Real G&Gs were all .36 caliber, and the Hell on Wheels Griswold is .44 caliber...an obvious problem. I decided to stick with .44 Caliber.

To do the project I picked up a .44 caliber brass-framed Navy:

bhdgT2P.jpg

I had some junk 1860 Army parts in the parts box, and I had a .44 caliber G&G barrel, so here are the results:

Hell on Wheels Giswold:

3sOzCm2.jpg

More correct looking Griswold & Gunnison:

jZ59ArH.jpg

Just got through watching the 2nd season on Netflix! Brass frame city! Will have to go back and review but, it seems the "Rebs" who attack the town are all carrying brass frame 1860's but when they are killed and on display they have brass frame Navy's? :idunno: Dang prop guys!

Finishing watching the first season. Entertaining but there's the usual mishmash of firearms that don't fit. Everybody and his brother is carrying a '66 Winchester including the cavalry. Guess those Muzzleloaders don't fire fast enough for 'em.

It really bends my crank when I watch just about any western/cowboy film or series. Not too long ago one of them had a fellow quoting a newspaper in which "LINCOLN" had just said this or that...every one of them had a gun belt with cartridge loops, I didn't wait to see what was in the holster. john

Back