• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hell on Wheels , cap and ball action galore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think you have to romanticize the Civil War or westward expansion to like HoW. Many of the characters were likable and became more so as they evolved. One problem in society now is that cancel culture assumes a person who makes a mistake never matures, and tries to define you by that mistake forever. But people can grow. I liked Bohannon, Eva, Psalms, and Elam. Obviously the gun play, and also the touches of engineering and monumental feats. It was damn fine entertainment while it lasted, and I watched them all as soon as I found the show again.

We could do with some entertainment like that. Lots of westerns would have had the characters using Colt 45s and wearing gunbelts with cartridge loops. Maybe a Winchester or two as well.

We could do with some entertainment like that. Lots of westerns would have had the characters using Colt 45s and wearing gunbelts with cartridge loops. Maybe a Winchester or two as well.
I watch a lot of youTube and switch to something else immediately an 1873 Colt appears in 1866 or so or a Trap door Springfield during the War between the States.
Same same goes for steam locomotives pouring out black smoke, Engineers of old strove to keep smoke to a minimum because it indicated poor control of the locomotive and waste of fuel, and that didn’t go down to well with the railroad; Government owned or private and not to forget the housewife who’d just hung out the washing😢

I watch a lot of youTube and switch to something else immediately an 1873 Colt appears in 1866 or so or a Trap door Springfield during the War between the States.
Same same goes for steam locomotives pouring out black smoke, Engineers of old strove to keep smoke to a minimum because it indicated poor control of the locomotive and waste of fuel, and that didn’t go down to well with the railroad; Government owned or private and not to forget the housewife who’d just hung out the washing😢
I've often wondered don't these productions have a technical advisor on hand? Not in the "meager" budget I suppose?

I’ve studied Gen. Forrest. Had he been allowed a free hand the outcome of the war could have well been different. The prejudice of both the north and South against non West Point graduates was a mistake that cost the South dearly. J. Davis finally admitted towards the end that he had been wrong to deny Forrest a Division Command. All thanks to the manure that the idiot Gen. B. Bragg was feeding Davis. Forrest was a true anachronism, and by the time of his death was almost totally different from his years as a warrior.
Times change but 'players' do not. Think back in history where leaders were advised by folks who were plants and nothing else. Well do not even bother to look back. Just look at our history from 2000 or so. Some bad advisors and political thinking and we have some bad decisions; some of which have had sour long term implications. Sadly we will never be rid of this type of activity.

I agree, I wouldn’t watch network TV if you paid me. And I get a channel out of Vicksburg called Grit, plays 24/7 westerns and another called DEFY that plays Swamp People all day on Mondays, American Pickers all day on Wednesdays, and Forged in Fire all day on Fridays. Don’t need much more than that.
I personally do not watch any western or war between the states movie that has incorrect props. The only John Wyane movie that to me is worth watching is the Quiet Man, that has no chance of hollywood messing up the props. Except it looks like the horse he rides appears to be using a McClellan saddle, which would be out of place. But I can live with that, but I still notice it. Using firearms that are historically incorrect just ruins it for me.

I
I personally do not watch any western or war between the states movie that has incorrect props. The only John Wyane movie that to me is worth watching is the Quiet Man, that has no chance of hollywood messing up the props. Except it looks like the horse he rides appears to be using a McClellan saddle, which would be out of place. But I can live with that, but I still notice it. Using firearms that are historically incorrect just ruins it for me.
I agree, John Wayne used to be a big hero to me and still is. But through the years it kind of became obvious "he'd charge the Indians with a Tommy gun" if they paid him enough. I read somewhere that He and John Ford fancied themselves as sort of historians.His westerns didn't show it. Didn't they have technical advisors back then?

I’ve studied Gen. Forrest. Had he been allowed a free hand the outcome of the war could have well been different. The prejudice of both the north and South against non West Point graduates was a mistake that cost the South dearly. J. Davis finally admitted towards the end that he had been wrong to deny Forrest a Division Command. All thanks to the manure that the idiot Gen. B. Bragg was feeding Davis. Forrest was a true anachronism, and by the time of his death was almost totally different from his years as a warrior.
President Harry Truman also disliked West Pointers. It stemmed from his days as an officer/ dough boy in WW1. He was said to have considered shutting down West Point.
It would have been a terrible mistake.

Think about how many of those repro pistols have been destroyed on movie sets dating back to the sixties.
Places like Loyalist Arms in Canada can speak to that.
Not all the weapons are own or purchased by the movie studios, many are Rentals.
I had called Loyalist once just after he received a bunch of rentals back - the descriptions of damage and even Bent Barrels was horrifying! Needless to say he was TICKED and fighting with them for payment...

Ya, I have worked on some shoots too, those they call "Extras" has nothing to do with 'brains' or 'common sense'.

On a ship once for a reality TV shoot, they had a bunch of rifles (and pistols) and I brought my own. They were all layed out center deck. While shooting (filming & shooting) they had trouble finding ones that actually Shot...one reached for mine, the clean shiny sea Musket - I Grabbed It Out Of His Hands So Fast!
"THAT ONE BELONGS TO ME!"

Last edited:
There was a female character on that series with a tattooed chin. That portrayal intrigued me and I wondered where the writers of that show came up with that idea. It seems there really was a character out of the Old West with that appearance.Olive Oatman was captured by the Indians when she was 14 and tattooed in such a way.It seems parts of the show were "based on fact"

20230211_212235.jpg
Olive Oatman

There was a female character on that series with a tattooed chin. That portrayal intrigued me and I wondered where the writers of that show came up with that idea. It seems there really was a character out of the Old West with that appearance.Olive Oatman was captured by the Indians when she was 14 and tattooed in such a way.It seems parts of the show were "based on fact"
The only problem I had with Hell on Wheels was the elimination of Lily Bell. Wish I could find that series to view again without going through all this streaming stuff that I don't understand.

I've often wondered don't these productions have a technical advisor on hand? Not in the "meager" budget I suppose?
Even ones that have technical advisers make plenty of gaffs. I notice this stuff because I am old and remember what a lot of stuff from the 40s,50 sand so on looks like as well as much earlier historical stuff from doing reading research and rondy`s . other than somewhat spoiling the tome of the show It is mildly irritating that so little is thought of the viewers as to do this manure.

Buzz

The only problem I had with Hell on Wheels was the elimination of Lily Bell. Wish I could find that series to view again without going through all this streaming stuff that I don't understand.
It's so old the boxed set is probably like 20 bucks at WalMart by now

I got the boxed set for Christmas, I think my Dad found it at an FYE for 20 or 30 bucks . The show is almost 10 years old now and not many people are looking for the DVDs

I think I read that Bohannon was based on a real guy and the story is very loosely based on real events, but also the show gets criticized as being a Deadwood knock off

Even ones that have technical advisers make plenty of gaffs. I notice this stuff because I am old and remember what a lot of stuff from the 40s,50 sand so on looks like as well as much earlier historical stuff from doing reading research and rondy`s . other than somewhat spoiling the tome of the show It is mildly irritating that so little is thought of the viewers as to do this manure.

Buzz
Almost every revolver in the series is a .44 Brass frame of some sort. Bohannon gets a steel frame 1858 Remington in season 3 probably because the producers read and take part in the Reddit and other fan pages and got tired of people complaining about Bohannons incorrect brass frame 1860. So they ponied up for a Pietta 1858. As a cool side effect they got to rip off the Pale Rider cylinder swap a few times.

I honestly enjoyed the show more because of the blatently incorrect revolvers and hokey gun play.

Back