• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
Deer season is off to a very warm start this year. Rather than sit in the woods frustrating myself I decided to finish a powder horn I began last winter.
I had carved the horn to a whales mouth design. I always like those. I wanted a nautical theme to the scrimshaw but am not fond of Blue whales and tall ships. Rather, I went with animals that the people of the time would have encountered.....and unfortunately used. Walrus and sea turtles.
The scroll vine has 5 flowers, the center of each is the peg holding the end cap. The horn is apx. 13.5" and can hold a lot of powder.
This is my second attempt at scrim and it is a lot of fun. I only get to do about a horn a year when work slows in the winter.
The vine took about 8 hours, the animals about 3 hours each.
I'm torn between horning and gun building. A very nice dilemma indeed. Forgive me while I try to remember from last year how to post pics.
007_zpscqs9fznp.jpg
[/URL][/img]

It has everything I like about a well made horn. You took what is to my eye a usually overdone style and kept it simple. The horn has a very nice flow from the base plug to the spout plug. Your choice of decoration is exguisitly done and you kept it simple. Now to the feature I like best, the border. I love it. It's very fancy and busy but somehow you have kept it from taking away from the rest of the horn. Well, well done from tip to ring it's a winner.

Ron

I generally don't like the fishmouth design but yours is simple, not overstated, and the overall effect is elegant. I specially like the flowers and vines around the base and the idea of centering a flower over each peg sheer genius. :hatsoff:

I agree fully with the posts re: this horn!! Keep up the good work. PS The next 4 months won't be as warm.

That is beautiful. I wish I had some artistic talent....but, alas, I don't. All I can draw are flies. :haha:

Back