• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A “Bird in The Hand” Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The welcome sound of birds in the morning air again, the harbinger of spring has motivated me to make a bird themed powder horn. I found some buffalo horn for $11 at the pet store for this project. Still trying to work out some challenges but here it is in its beginnings. It will be a small type day horn. We’ll see where it goes…….

Sure is ALOT of scraping to get to this point! It’s crazy to think each one is a scrape of the blade and that’s 1 of 4 piles!
EC90CC28-1C90-4CB7-9A3F-3F609A82CF54.jpeg
4A449996-5550-4D49-8003-920995EFF4D7.jpeg

Last edited:
For a spout plug, how about something which looks like an ear of corn?
I like that thought. Also have been thinking about the “other” end and maybe one of these strategically threaded into its “hind quarters” if you catch my drift. This would solve several problems not to mention pretty comical! Lol

D3076E45-EF84-4E0E-9DB9-93F9A7BDD31A.jpeg
778582F3-D610-4B73-999B-89D4826D8D5A.jpeg

Scraped smooth most of the course rasp marks
Given that it's a bird and feathered,,, maybe don't overly sand it, leave a little scratchiness to imply feathers?
Still thinking on how to plug the base and the spout.
Is the beak hollow? If not, can it be sawn off and a plug inlet into it, then the spout hole drilled through the neck?

Last edited:
Given that it's a bird and feathered,,, maybe don't overly sand it, leave a little scratchiness to imply feathers?

Is the beak hollow? If not, can it be sawn off and a plug in layer into it, then the spout hole drilled through the neck?
All good points for consideration. Definitely considering doing the beak/spout like I did this one.
FAF1FEDD-AD8A-4299-B348-18AC5D1A08D8.jpeg
EFB5E880-039F-4EB1-AF18-D6B4B10A4939.jpeg

Last edited:
A very rainy, soggy day here in N.C. so made a little more progress today in the garage. Opened up the plug hole some more and beveled the edges. Once the plug is in and pinned, I’ll round over the edges giving the “belly” its final shape. I also gave definition to the wing tips, which I may extend more up the back. Lastly just spent some time smoothing and contouring all over with a small blade scraper.

IMG_8942.jpeg

IMG_8943.jpeg
IMG_8945.jpeg

A very rainy, soggy day here in N.C. so made a little more progress today in the garage. Opened up the plug hole some more and beveled the edges. Once the plug is in and pinned, I’ll round over the edges giving the “belly” its final shape. I also gave definition to the wing tips, which I may extend more up the back. Lastly just spent some time smoothing and contouring all over with a small blade scraper.

View attachment 302327
View attachment 302328View attachment 302329
Are you done this horn yet really looking forward to seeing it done.

Back