• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
colorado clyde said:
I watched the trailer again.....I smell an Oscar....

I watched the trailer and after seeing the advertisements on TV for the movie opening I went into work and promptly ordered two dozen sidehammer rifles from Lyman and Traditions (sell guns at work).

I smell a demand for "guns like on that movie"...

Maybe...just maybe....This movie will finally put the death nail in the inline rifle coffin... :grin:

We would have to erect a Dicaprio statue and name children after him... :haha:

colorado clyde said:
If this movie is a blockbuster, maybe someone will remake "Jeramiah Johnson" and "The Mountain Men".
Or maybe an original work, something completely new.

I'm thinking John Colter, but there is certainly a lot of material for them to work with, without doing remakes.

Native Arizonan said:
colorado clyde said:
If this movie is a blockbuster, maybe someone will remake "Jeramiah Johnson" and "The Mountain Men".
Or maybe an original work, something completely new.

I'm thinking John Colter, but there is certainly a lot of material for them to work with, without doing remakes.
Might even be enough material there for a sequel or trilogy...

I will look forward to the pic's of the bags and knives when you post them. Maybe you could get one them back that were signed by the actors. You would probably have some valuable items there in the future.

I think Lenny will do just fine in the movie.

Last night, I watched about a 10-minute trailer. Very graphic and well done, so far. I can't wait to see the movie. It's getting a lot of good press.

Nifeman said:
Well fellers, guess it's time to tell you. Back in August of 2014, the Propmaster of this movie emailed Miss Tudy and requested that we make the bags and knives for the principal actors. We had a lot to do and a little time to do it. I can't show the pictures until after it comes out at Christmas, however at that time I will. Most notably, we made the Hugh Glass knife. If you look, you can see glimpses of it it various preview pictures on the internet. It's been a real hoot, reading the different posts in the last year and a half. Regardless of what some of you feel about Leonardo, it has been an honor to do this... Nifeman

That's great! Look forward to seeing your work in the movie! :hatsoff:

Anyone who is not at this moment studying pics and plotting to build 6 or 10 replicas of de caprio's gun is missing a great chance to earn a major grub stake. (I already found one with a recgonizable siler in it so this would not be rocket science)

I'm no expert, but IMHO this one looks sorta like a cut-down Loyalist Arms Bess with a trade gun sideplate hung on.
http://www.businessinsider.com/leonardo-dicaprio-eating-raw-bison-the-revenant-2015-12

the-revenant-trailer-1_zpsrf5vkftl.jpg

Hey, maybe canoe guns really existed after all....

Birdwatcher

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine has a pirated copy of The Revenant, and I watched it last night on a smallish computer screen. (Feeling a little guilty about the origin of his copy... 60 million bucks to produce, and we watched it for free...)

Mostly an excellent movie--it's long--about 2.5 hours. I thought some dream/hallucination sequences could have been cut.

I did not recognize DiCaprio at first--he is really grizzled looking in it. The guns look period-correct to my inexpert eyes. Several sequences of a flintlock being fired had the correct pan-flash and muzzle-flash, but no recoil. However, one scene had some major Hollywoodish unreal moments: Glass/DiCaprio grabs a flintlock pistol from someone's haversack, and promptly fires TWO shots too quickly. (I don't think it was two pistols he grabbed--he could not have reloaded so quickly--I don't think it was a double-barreled pistol? But I saw it on a small screen, so may be wrong.)

In another scene someone in the background appears to be reloading a long rifle, but he only puts the ramrod down HALF-WAY.

One scene MIGHT give the wrong impression of black powder's volatility to a new ML shooter.. Glass/DiCaprio is starting a small fire--with a few flames present, he takes a brass powder flask and DIRECTLY sprinkles gunpowder on the flames--only a very small orange flash is seen. (Especially scary for me--as a STOOPID novice shooter 40 years ago I once burned off my eyebrows tossing a match on some spilled BP.)

I wish the movie would have shown in greater deal how a flintlock muzzle-loader is loaded. Never once is anyone seen priming a pan. Having to do all the steps correctly in the heat of a firefight would have added even more drama. Instead, in one scene Glass is shown loading his rifle by briefly tapping his powder flask to the muzzle, and then putting a ball in his mouth and BLOWING it down the barrel without a ramrod. But I suppose that might have been done with an unpatched ball in the heat of battle.

Still, an excellent movie overall, and I plan to PAY to see it when it hits the local theaters. The background scenery is fantastic, and the acting is good. The bear-mauling scene is very realistic.

Merry Christmas all.... :v

About that gun...

the-revenant-trailer-1_zpsrf5vkftl.jpg

It appears to be a Pedersoli Brown Bess Indian Trade Gun, DGW still carries 'em (for $1,500 per.... :shocked2: )

bess%20trade_zpsv7i8cgm0.jpg

It has been my impression that the Bess Trade gun is one of them reenactorisms that never actually existed.

Surely Pedersoli's own Trade Gun would have been a better choice, and at $1,000 new, its gotta be one of the best values around in muzzleloading.

trade%20gun_zpsx1mlx4uz.jpg

Birdwatcher

Good catch Birdwatcher. That Brown Bess trade gun is kind of an ugly stepchild. I hope they do not pawn it off as Glass' main firearm.

I guess there weren't enough of those trapdoor Springfields with the added brass bands and flintlock hammer still laying around Hollywood to film this movie.

"I guess there weren't enough of those trapdoor Springfields with the added brass bands and flintlock hammer still laying around Hollywood to film this movie."

Well, they could have borrowed mine. :rotf:

WOW! Can't believe the number of posts on this Thread with just the anticipation of the movie release. I can imagine how long this Thread will run about a week or two after January 8th. :haha:
Anyway, can't wait to see it.
Rick :hatsoff:

While the Bess "trade Gun" maybe a re-enactorism, the use of Besses in the RMFT are well documented. Many if not most trading posts generally kept military muskets for defense and Manuel Lisa is reported to have use a cut down Bess. In the SW the Bess was fairly ubiquitous since the Mexican Gov't purchased a bunch over the years.
So on this one item I'm not gonna get my knickers in a knot over.

Bud and Miss Tudy - congratulations and look forward to seeing your work....

Thanks Chuck, we can't wait to see it either. Been a long year and a half since we started this. Had to make 10 knives with sheaths, and 4 bags with doubles in a month. Last day before our deadline, we had to make 5 knives and sheaths for DiCaprio's character and the had to be on set in 3 days! So that was a total of 25 knives and 8 bags... Phew!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back