• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Member ( but an Old Guy ) Could Use Some Advise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlinBHNE

32 Cal
Reaction score
Long story short I'm wanting to get a used steel frame 1860 Army .44 or steel frame 1858 New Army .44 that's in decent, functional condition. I joined in hopes of placing a " Want to Buy " in classifieds but it says I cannot do that until I have X amount of posts. Is there any way around this ? To be honest I really don't know what I could post in threads that would be of any merit since I'm new to the BP game. If not, I'll just move on. I thank you in advance.

Just ask questions. Ya, you will get yelled at by some people saying you should search. . Ignore them, you can get required posts real fast.
Some ideas...
Whats better Uberti or Pieta?
Why are caps hard to find?
Does anyone make caps?
Is Trump or Biden better?
You get the idea.

Whats better Uberti or Pieta? Much the same. Minor differences. see one and buy it. Take a Trust the seller with a lot of messages/previous sales.

Why are caps hard to find? They are not that hard to find. I just bought 500 of them and four pounds of powder. I don't sell, just for reference

Does anyone make caps? Yes, but just buy ready-made. Don't complicate your life right now

Is Trump or Biden better? Of course, Trump is better. <grin>

Ask questions. If you like a member, click on their picture. Open "conversation" and can have a private conversation. Wait until you see a pistol or rifle you want and reach out. If you miss one, hang tight, another one will quickly surface. This is a really good place to buy.

See if you can find someone here on this forum in your area who can help. If not where you live, find a range, go there and find someone who can help.

Your Department of Natural Resources may have ranges for free. Georgia has these.

Remember. Powder, patch, ball, settle down and then put a cap on it. Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until you are sighted on target and then, and only then and shoot.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Long story short I'm wanting to get a used steel frame 1860 Army .44 or steel frame 1858 New Army .44 that's in decent, functional condition. I joined in hopes of placing a " Want to Buy " in classifieds but it says I cannot do that until I have X amount of posts. Is there any way around this ? To be honest I really don't know what I could post in threads that would be of any merit since I'm new to the BP game. If not, I'll just move on. I thank you in advance.
Respond to thirty posts in the new member section. Just have to say welcome. Five to ten minutes and you have your thirty posts.

Welcome to the forum.
Not to discredit the forum, but have you looked at pawn shops. I bought a nice 1860 at one near me at a really good price. Another place is local classifieds. We have a local radio station that has what they call "The party line", they take calls from 9-11, 6 days a week. I bought an unfired 1851 thru them. As to forum purchases, I have not bought a firearm but many other things and all transactions have been great.

You can also look on the sales part and contact the seller.

Worst case order one, they are not that awful cost wise. You may save $150 but you are going to rapidly use that up in bullets and powder and Percussion Caps as well as various doo dads.

Gun cost is the least of the overall expenses. Make sure you have a supplier of Percussion Caps, bullets and powder. Ours is iffy and I have had to hold up on shooting due to that.

I though a couple of tins of 200 would do me forever as well as 60 that came with the ASP Remington NMA. Then I got two more and last time 4 tins.

Just ask questions. Ya, you will get yelled at by some people saying you should search. . Ignore them, you can get required posts real fast.
Some ideas...
Whats better Uberti or Pieta?
Why are caps hard to find?
Does anyone make caps?
Is Trump or Biden better?
You get the idea.
As I've stated and believe, caps are being hoarded by entities in the supply chain once they leave the factory. Dealers, large & small, gun shops, large & small, they're all sitting on them as they magically become more valuable by the month. Just my opinion, can't prove it, but during the recent modern ammo shortage, it was the same thing. (Granted, the factories were closed during the enforced covid shut-down, I give you that.) If I see 'em, I'm buyin' 'em. Also topping up supply of modern fixed ammo, as it's common now but won't be once the Summer is over and the politickin' heats up white hot; it will all magically disappear from shelves. JMHO (I recall one small gun shop asking $100 for a brick of .22's; SHORTS!!)

Welcome "Old Guy" I'm an old fart too. Lots of good information on this forum and sales also. But beware, anything listed at a "good price" goes quick.
Good luck on your venture, stay safe and enjoy.

Yea, caps at one store were $11 a tin, the other store that has had them (on and off) they are $20 a tin.

Good news is I did not shoot BP a while back and was not (err spoiled) by much lower prices!

Yea 22 ammo was easily $100 a brick if you could get it, I got enough to limp through then keep several bricks now (same with my modern guns, plenty of powder and primers, bullets to some degree but could always get those and always cheaper in bulk form the lower 48)

That "X number of posts" will happen fast. Maybe not in the blink of an eye but PDQ. Just ask some simple questions, the guys on this forum don't mind answering questions.

Welcome from another “old guy”. Hopefully you will find what you need or desire.

If you open up your profile to messages , ya never know what you will get offer wise (hint)

There are currently two NMA Pietta's at the top of the for sales

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back