• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new fowler - I hope.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Brines said:
I, for one, laud you for this thread. Sometimes the truth just needs to be told. Don't feel bad, just think of the service you may be doing someone.

Thanks for the comments.
I still feel badly for Jackie. I would rather laud someone for their work.
My docket is kinda full this week. Probably next week I'll have a chance to debreech (if that is possible) and find out what is going on down there. Poor ignition and can't even turn a flat-bottom scraper is as no good as it is a puzzlement.

Got an e-mail from Jackie. He wants the fowler back so he can fix whatever is wrong with the breech. I didn't ask him to do that. He contacted me and offered. This speaks well for him. I haven't told him yet, but I'm accepting his offer.
He knows how the gun is put together and is best qualified to fix it.

Swampy said:
Well thats good...maybe while he has it he'll put it on a barrel stretcher and get you that 36"er you originally ordered...

No, not going to ask for that. I actually like it the length it is. However, I'm pretty certain I would also like it at 36". Not an issue.

...That's good news and :hatsoff: to Jackie for commitment to fix it... Please keep us informed, as we will be looking for an update...

Yes, good for JB. Sure hope you end up with a gun you like, this has certainly been an odyssey. I've got mine working real well now, all it needed was to lighten the trigger and open the touch hole. Really accurate with rb and shoots good patterns too.

bob4st said:
...That's good news and :hatsoff: to Jackie for commitment to fix it... Please keep us informed, as we will be looking for an update...

It is packed and ready to be picked up by USPS today. It is in a regular black gun case. I hope some bureaucrat at USPS doesn't go 'postal' over that. :shocked2:

Thanks Rifleman. Based on this and several other threads I've read I've decided to go with TVM for my fowler. There is one in the classified section but I don't think the guy is still around. I've sent several emails as well as asking several questions and there's just no answers. I'm just hoping it won't take 9 months as the first person I talked to said it would probably take to have it delivered. :idunno:

Macon Due said:
David
I'd count on at least 8 months.
Macon

I heard from him yesterday. It may be on the way back today.
I want to be honest in my reports, not cruel.
Must confess, however, sometimes I have been harsh.
A report on his findings and repairs will be posted when I get it back.

My comment on 8 months was to David in reference to the time for a build from TVM.
Macon

Rifleman, it wasn't just you. There were others, lots of guys commenting on wrong locks, wood and forgetting little things. I don't have much money, whatever I spend, I have to get my money's worth. Jackie would drive me nuts :youcrazy: in no time. Your experience with TVM also was a deciding factor. Someone who stands by their work is very important to me. I'm sure you wanted to be fair and believe me, compared to some of the other comments dealing with JB, yours were very mild.

David Hoffman said:
Rifleman, it wasn't just you. There were others, lots of guys commenting on wrong locks, wood and forgetting little things. I don't have much money, whatever I spend, I have to get my money's worth. Jackie would drive me nuts :youcrazy: in no time. Your experience with TVM also was a deciding factor. Someone who stands by their work is very important to me. I'm sure you wanted to be fair and believe me, compared to some of the other comments dealing with JB, yours were very mild.

David, I will share a little of what Jackie told me even though the gun hasn't arrived yet. (today maybe)
He has quit taking orders for guns. He will build only what he wants when he wants. Most of what I have seen are sold as in stock, in the white models. That means you will get a gun quickly from Jackie if you order one of his already completed ITWs.

The fowler just was returned to me by USPS. It had been sent back to Jackie, at his request, because I had a problem with the breech face. It was not smooth and a scraper would not turn.
Here is Jackie's response:
The face of the plug has been milled off a bit (shortened) in my milling machine which I knew and is standard procedure. The face was installed in the gun as milled (smooth but not polished). What I did find was, when the breech was threaded in the lathe, the thread tap pushed up a very small ridge in front of it. When the plug was installed, the ridge made a very slight radius at the face of the breech. I can't see how it would prevent a scraper from turning but that's all that was there. The face of the breechplug was sanded and buffed to a high shine before being reinstalled.

What he found may have been minor but it did prevent proper cleaning and, being an unknown factor, was a major concern to myself.
He also found the site had been improperly installed off-center and he fixed that for which I am very appreciative.
I believe I will now enjoy this fowler for a long time.

Back