• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new fowler - I hope.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today Jackie Brown is supposed to ship me a fowler I commissioned him to build. There have been delays, I was looking for it in June. There have been concerns. He started it using the wrong wood, walnut, I ordered maple. He forgot what lock I wanted. Both these items were sent to him in writing with e-mails. I later learned a part of the work was outsourced to TVM which was a surprise. I'm hoping it doesn't increase the price too much. Calls went unanswered and e-mails not returned. When I am able to reach him on the phone he is a delightful person to speak to. I'm sure I would like him if we met in person. Well, as of this a.m. I have not had a request for the balance of funds for the gun. I paid 50% up front, more than he asked for. The discussions about seamless tubing are in the back of my mind. I have no problem with the ST for barrels. But I do have huge concerns about the possibility of visible seams. If that turns out to be the case, the gun will go back for a barrel replacement. It might be unfair to voice concerns before the fact but communications problems and forgetfulness do raise red flags. I know Jackie has had health problems. I sympathize but that does not change expectations in a business relationship. And, I see he is actively selling guns on other forums. Mine, apparently, was not the only one in progress since his 'retirement'. I'll post updates and a review once I receive it.

I rec'd my .62 fowler from him in April and there were some delays but he had it to me in about 2 months. It did have the wrong lock but it is a Siler and I am ok with that. It has the round barrel (not octagon to round) which i really like. I cannot see any seams but it sure does shoulder nicely and is accurate at 25-40 yards. I have not shot at anything further yet and all i have shot is patched RB. I am very happy with the gun though there was some rust on the lock, trigger guard and buttplate that i have since removed. Keep us posted

Wow that souds like Deja vue from years ago I sent back some guns that had the wrong this or that or a broken stock in an undamaged box???? Good luck I thought that things had changed there, Does he tell you what the barrel profile is? as in is the oct sect tapered or straight we had a bit of a talk about how the customers should be told about this little detail before getting the gun and he agreed back then.Good luck I hope you get a keeper.

After seeing the "Smoothbore Barrel" with the visible seam in the tube, I've come to the conclusion, that I'd rather not pay good, and hard to come-by today, Money, for a firearm made with a piece of fence post, for a "barrel".
Call me a snob, but I know to spend on quality only once.
I have a few Indian Made guns that are perfectly satisfactory, for inexpensive shooters, and no visible seams in the barrels.
The good thing you mentioned, is that Matt Avance will be the Gunsmith, hopefully, for the majority of the build.

Rich Pierce said:
give the guy a chance.

Agree. This is not and was not intended as a "bash Jackie" thread. There will be no more updates until I get a ship notice and then when I receive my gun.
But, please note. I have written quite a few product reviews over the years. My reviews are honest. Good is reported as good. Problems are not glossed over.

"give the guy a chance'

I agree for the most part but after seeing this post after having serious issues ten years ago, I was a bit surprised, I am really curious if folks are being notified about the lack or taper if it is still such in the oct sect. as this was pretty much something that was going to be a policy change from my understanding so as to be more upfront with the cutomer, I would be very dissapointed if this has not happened, the only reason not to would be to keep buyers who did not know untill it was to late.I have wished for the best for this builder since my experience and hope things are better for him and his customers as his guns are a dream to shouder and shoot IMHO

As I stated, this is not intended to be a 'bash Jackie' thread. I will modify one previous statement I made and will give an update as of today.
I last spoke to Jackie about two weeks ago. Then he promised shipment by this past Friday (8/12/11). I did not receive a ship notice or request for the balance of payment. Since then I have tried phoning him 2 to 4 times a day (morning, early afternoon, mid afternoon and evening). There is never an answer and he doesn't have an answering device. I know e-mails are futile. This morning I tried blocking my ID when phoning him but he has a block on blocked numbers calling him. Internet searches indicate his residence number is unlisted or he doesn't have one. I have tried calling Tennessee Valley Manufacturing, the Jack Garner company. So far, there, I get only an answering machine. I am hoping for a return call. Waiting for a new gun is supposed to be exciting and fun. Sadly, this experience has turned into a business transaction gone sour. If anyone here knows how to get through to Jackie I would appreciate your input.

In the past I found that repeated calls everyday would finaly get him as he probably does not go to then phone everytime it rings as he would get nothing done in the shop, keep calling, maybe at the beginning or end of the lunch hour in his time zone? good luck. :idunno:

I ordered from Jackie several years ago. The gun was promised by October. I received it in May the following year. The lock was not what I ordered but after some thought I was satisfied. Even though it wasn't exactly what I ordered, I kept it. The price of the parts alone approached what I paid for the gun. It's now one of my favorites.
I think when Jackie tells you a date he actually thinks he can deliver by then. I don't think he does this on purpose per say, but things just do not work out.

He has up to 12 or so guns in the white for sale on another site. You would think he would set a priority or two. He is just sorry. I know of one guy who never got his gun ans he used to work for jackie. :shocked2: Besides I think he is the guy that inflicted the "canoe gun" on the muzzle loading world. It was a good use for the cut off ends of DOM tubing :shake:

Good news update.I got an e-mail from Jackie last night. An electricial storm knocked out his land line telephones. He is now cell phone only and sent me that number.
L&R was slow in shipping because of the well-known huge order placed by TOW.
We are still on friendly terms.
Shipping should be next week.
I'm hopeful but taking a 'wait and see' attitude.

Back