• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New England Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallbear

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recived a couple of requests for more info on this rifle that I posted in another thread.So as to not clutter that thread I started another.This is a rifle I made last winter in the style of John Mason from Massachusetts.He was thought to be the master of Silas Allen the best known of the gunsmiths from the area.It has a 38".50 cal tapered Rice barrel.Most New England rifles had tapered instead of tapered and flaired barrels.Curly maple is rare for rifle stocks in this area but not unknown.Most were cherry with a few walnut.The trigger guard and butt piece are from Reeves Goring.The Rifle Shop also have a set available if you don't mind a wait.While this is a fullstock many rifles from this area are halfstocks with a wood underrib.The halfstocks ususally have a hook breach.Most New England rifles had little or no carving,using silver wire instead.If anyone has any questions fire away.

jimsgunfinal071.jpg

jimsgunfinal003-1.jpg

jimsgunfinal081.jpg

jimsgunfinal096.jpg

jimsgunfinal093.jpg

jimsgunfinal044.jpg

jimsgunfinal075.jpg

Mitch Yates

Nice to see someone else interested in NE rifles. That one is a beautiful reproduction, nice job on it. :thumbsup:

I had two NE's built, one a full stock cherry with wire work duplicated from Welcome Mathewsons work. Which is my hunting rifle. And a Squirrel rifle which is the NE half stock with wood rib you mentioned, stocked in Applewood. :thumbsup:

Back