• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Englander With poor bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a New Englander .50 that is really as new outside but has a pitted bore. I believe it was taken from box, fired once or twice, and put back in box uncleaned. The bore is uniformly pitted but still shoots things like maxi-balls relatively well. Will shoot patched balls but accuracy is poor. Sold to me as "like new in box" and has been a real irritant to point its been sitting n safe for over a decade. I would like to either a) have it reamed/rifled to .54, b) replace with a new TC .54 barrel (or better yet a 12 Guage) or c) bore the .50 to 20 gauge shotgun. Advice requested.

Sold to me as "like new in box" and has been a real irritant to point its been sitting n safe for over a decade.

i bought a .54 New Englander barrel that was supposed to be "shiny": Thing was badly rusted and pitted, Shipped it to Bobby Hoyt, who turned it into a .58 with rounded groove rifling. That barrel is very accurate with patched round balls.

Mine cost about $125 plus shipping.

Best to call Mr. Hoyt early in the morning, like 8a.m. EST.

Yeah, sometimes after spending hours on a ruined it may shoot OK. But the pits are still there and the bore will easily rust and will be hard to clean. Best have the barrel re-bored.

Cost will be very little. I had been outright lied to by a seller on Gunbroker. However, Mr. Hoyt was able to clean it up and it's still a .54. Give the man a call, send him your rifle, be happy.

In a throwaway world, there is satisfaction whenever something can be repaired.

Hoyt rebore! Read my Tree Hawk thread above. It was affordable.

Pete Davis

Attachments

• DSC01554.JPG
    DSC01554.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 79
Thanks for all the good suggestions!! Absolutely not sure what to do with it at this point. I'm out $275+ ship (1999 dollars) on it so far and adding another $200+ into it gives me pause. Thinking of parting it out as it looks externally new. Would add disclaimer on the barrel with pics so not to pass the PITA on. I have several other MLs so its not critical to me to have this one fixed altho it looks so nice on the wall.

I have the same situation with a .50 caliber TC New Englander.
Mine is a lefty, as am I. I bought it for $30 from a local pawn shop.
It had Pyrodex fouling in the barrel. I cleaned it all out.
I only bought it because I got it cheap, since I saw the pitting in the shop.
I've given serious consideration to reaming it out to 20 gauge.
A rifled 20 gauge would be interesting, too. I could use the same round balls that I use in my Pedersoli Howdah.
Although, getting it reamed and re-rifled in .58 cal wouldn't hurt my feelings, either.

A 20ga is .62cal, I don't think anyone would ream a .50cal that large. A .58cal would be a 24ga, in a 1"barrel it might be doable.

A lefty for $30 is quite a deal. I shoot ML trap with a 28" Dbl 12. Afraid a shorter barrel would not deliver what i need and would be a only a cyl bore if the New Englander .50 was reamed straight. An original 12G New englander bbl would be best but just a dream. Starting to miss my 20 g that fit my .50 TC HAwken. Was a rare Sharon barrel kit i sold long ago. 28" mod IIRC and used plastic wads and milk carton overwads. Was bane of pheasants before they all died off in California (like the state is doing now).
A 20ga is .62cal, I don't think anyone would ream a .50cal that large. A .58cal would be a 24ga, in a 1"barrel it might be doable.

The 20 gauge barrel mentioned was 15/16 AF to ramrod rib and round forward (iirc)
Does seem a bit thin. Really think you need at least 1" to safely accommodate breesh threads

And, if you should happen to have an unusual size ball mold that you want to cast with, a rebore to smooth bore or rifled can accommodate that.

Back