• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ease and accuracy of shooting. 1851 Navy vs 1858 Remington. Thoughts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had both these guns for 2 or 3 years now and have done some tuning and parts replacement on the 1851 (Pietta). Sights, hammer, bolt spring, adjust mainspring, replace nipples, and install action shield. The Uberti 1858 has been good right out of the box. Replaced nipples on it. Both guns are very accurate off of a rest and both run basically trouble free. For quick single hand shooting I'll feel better shooting the 1851 but for two hand target shooting I do better with the 1858. The grip seems larger, easier for a two hand grip, sights seem better for my eyes and the trigger is lighter so I can get my shot off when the gun is waving around at the proper instant when I'm on target. I was just wondering how others feel about these two and any secrets to improve handling.
DSC_7739.JPG

Who changed the Colt front sight, and if you did it where did you buy it?
I drilled out the factory sight, put a brass screw in my hand drill (using it as a lathe) and filed and sanded it to shape and soldered it in place. Then took it to the range and filed it down to point of aim.

Attachments

• DSC_2675.Sjpg.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm more of a Remington fan myself,like OP my 1861 and 1851 Colt Navys just point better and for quick shooting I do better with them then the Remingtons,but if taking my time I shoot the Remingtons better. I always figured it was better sights on Remingtons.

I even prefer the looks of Remingtons, and I prefer the 1861 Colt Navy looks to the 1851,and 1860 Colts.

I picked up a 1851 Richards Mason conversion with 5.5 barrel I thought it would make a dandy carry around farm pistol,but I just dont shoot it very well,I think the Colts need the full length barrel for me for them to balance,

Other than point aim shoot, I've never noticed enough difference between the two. I know they have a different feel and hold but that's just me. As for tricks, i did put a lead weight in my 12 inch target model 58 once (between the grips), it really helped to balance the extra barrel length but also made it shoot higher.

I have all Uberti see my avatar. The 58Rem .36 I bought first, a rare Lyman .36 6.5” barrel, 1971, perfect, not a scratch on it, never been fired.
I am just not a collector so when i go to the range i always take my 51 .36 and 48 .31. The Rem has become a display queen.
Part of me says just sell it because I honestly doubt i will ever fire it. The 2 Colts suit my fancy just fine. Problem is, once you acquire them they like kids, you cant get rid of them.
So what shoots better? the Colt. Ive never fired the Rem.
What feels better, the Colt .36.
Whats my favorite? That cantankerous lil .31 Colt pocket. My red headed step child. Unless you own one, you won’t understand the love/hate relationship with these little pocket pistols.

Last edited:
Today's shootout between the 1858 Uberti Remington using 25 grains FFFg and the 1851 Pietta Navy using 22 grains at 25 yards offhand. Both guns had to put up with my shaky shooting but the Remington grouped better. It is also easier to cap. So it will be the 1858 for accuracy, 1851 for fun, and the Walker for shock and awe. The Walker is troublesome to shoot (caps get trapped between cylinder and recoil shield) but is accurate. I need to put it up against the Remington next time out.
DSC_7742.JPG

Latest posts

Back