• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pietta Disappointment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I visited a Cabelas today and on a whim decided to take a serious look at the Pietta 1858 cap ball with adjustable sights. As my title suggests I was very disappointed.

First and worst was the rear sight. It might have been painted aluminum, but I am pretty sure, 99%, it was painted zinc. Aka pot metal. A real obvious eye sore. It was not even nicely painted to hide the obscene part until the user wore off the finish. I have nothing against anodized aluminum. This was just awful. You would think the sight would be steel, right? It looked like some fake antique grey paint with bear spots and bare corners!

I am looking over the gun and I notice the bore is way off center viewing from the front! I mean enough to use up all the windage. I got curious and looked at another Pietta 1858 with fixed sights, Same display case. Had I not been looking, that bore was fairly well centered. Since I was looking, it was also off. I expect that would need to be compensated for a little. Perhaps filing the rear of the frame. just a litte. I would not mention it if I had not see the "target" model with the bore way over to the side.

In closing "Thank god for Uberti".
Yeah, no kidding. I am fortunate to inherit an older one. All steel and a really accurate gun. Sad that they are putting out junk.

All the hand assembly and fine tuning wont center the bore in the barrel. Maybe some machinist/operator skilled labor lost post covid. That rear sight!! That was just awful.

I am not making this up. I was seriously shopping. I do get your warning. Pietta seems to get a lot of love on the web. That is why I ask to see the gun and why I was disappointed.

I am not saying Uberti is perfect. it might sound that way. The last Uberti I looked at seemed just a bit odd cocking the hammer back. Maybe nothing. Maybe me. That was an SAA 45 LC. That is a difference, i am not sure, so; I am not critical. Cabelas does not allow the buyer to cock and check timing. That is another dont know. Assume it was ok.
You are not wrong about Uberti. When I bought my 1851 navy a couple months back, I could have saved myself a significant (to me) amount of money with the Pietta. I scraped together the extra money and got the Uberti and am very happy with it. Pay high once and cry once and be satified with it.

Greetings,

I just bought a Colt 1861 Navy from Taylor's. I've been reading all these "Pietta vs Uberti" threads for weeks before deciding. The Pietta billboard is a deal breaker for me. The fit/finish of the Uberti I received is exceptional. It even shipped in a logoed soft case which is a nice extra touch of class. The only issue now is I want another one.

Back