• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new 12ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekforge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well yesterday i was given 12ga smoothbore caplock as a birthday present from my grandmas friend. Her father made it out of what appears to be a 12ga single shot barrel. The stock is from wood from a bridge and the brass came from a local highschool. Unfortunately i wont be able to shoot it as the rib where the ramrod goes is attached with screws that are threaded directly into the barrel/bore which doesn't seem too awfully safe.
20150726_141552_zpsizkem5ju.jpg

Can't see the pic Freek but of course you don't want to shoot that. YOU, of all people, know better. And the steel, breech, and nooks and crannies of a smokeless-powder shotgun barrel may not be safe for the purpose in any case.

Good to see you post!!!

Dang it still having trouble figuring out this tablet thing i'll try to get a pic up whenever i can get to a real computer. Its a pretty neat gun if it wasn't for the holes i would have no problem shooting it. He did a very nice job installing the breech. And sitting down and listening to the stories that go with it is awesome.

been away for awhile with work and drills/training also had an accident at work that messed my eye up where i couldn't look at a screen long enough to get on any forums. But since i just got 3 new muzzleloaders i had no choice but to get on and talk about them lol

Inasmuch as there are at least two full-length books in print on converting breech-loading shotguns to ML, why do you believe that "recycling" modern barrels & parts, "--- may not be safe, in any case"?

The 198-page, illustrated, book that I have is entitled : RECREATING THE DOUBLE BARREL MUZZLE-LOADING SHOTGUN (2nd Edition) by William R. Brockway. Published by George Shumway Publishing (01MAR2003)
AND
I'm "toying with" the idea of trying to build my own DB ML Cape-Gun, starting with "recycled parts" from a used 16-bore breech-loading DB, a set of used "express sights" and a "rifled tube" of appropriate size to fit into one of the shotgun barrels.
(I'm "thinking" that a .54x16-gauge CapeGun would be NICE for a variety of game animals.)

Could you point me to a source for your concerns about safety??

yours, satx

Yep a tc cherokee, a jukar kentucky with a messed up barrel that im turning into a cute little carbine and this shotgun/wall hanger. I am trying to talk a guy in my unit out of a t/c hawken too :grin:

He won't be able to cite any credible source...smokeless powder operates at SOO much higher pressures any barrel safe for smokeless is fine for black powder.

I have seen, shot, and watched a friend built B/P shotguns from modern barrels; one simply cuts off the chamber, threads it to an appropriate breech plug, solders a tennion to wedge the barrel in place, and goes from there. A bolster for cap lock, file a flat for flint.

Many B/P trap shooters use a 10ga barrel, cutting off both ends and installing chokes. Some use 8ga...THAT sounds painful.

ET

BP trap-shooting?? - Pardon my ignorance, but I've not heard of that sport.
(Also, as slow as I am at loading these days, it would take me a LONG time to shoot a round of trap. = I have "some issues" with my hands.)

Three plus decades ago, I had an 8-gauge DB & it really wasn't that bad for recoil, as it was quite HEAVY. = Shooting it always "gathered a crowd" on the range and my lady sometimes fired it at the Ramstein AFB Rod & Gun Club. Even some of the "more adventurous" women wanted to try it.
(As my friends here know, I'm MOSTLY a hunter rather than a re-enactor & a firearm that's too heavy to comfortably carry afield isn't my cup of tea so "THE BIG EIGHT" got traded off long ago.)

Years later, when we were stationed at Ft Lee there was a British Liason Officer on base who had a DB 6 gauge, that weighed LESS than the 8-gauge. = Shooting that BEAST got my attention.

yours, satx

SATX,
competition trap, skeet, sporting clays, and quail walk are shot at Friendship, Phoenix, and locally,(for you) in Brady,Tx. The 4-H state muzzle loading competition is this week near Abilene, my friend will be there helping youngsters shoot trap.
I've shot both trap and skeet locally with a double 12 B/P, please don't ask me my score, it's kinda embarrassing. But my friend has shot 23 on several occasions...
With 15 or so shooters by the time you reload its your turn up, so it doesn't take much longer than with smokeless.
Speaking of big bores, at the Dallas Safari Club convention there is always a guy with a double FOUR BORE for dangerous game!!! I've shouldered it and all I can say is you better have a gun bearer! :surrender:
ET

Shooting trap with a muzzle loader is really quite simple and not at all slow if you are prepared. I use wax paper cartridges for premeasured powder charges, Just rip open, then dump the powder down and follow with the wax paper and a leather wad, (or felt) ,then a paper shot cartridge made with three thickness of newspaper tied off with kite string.Prime (or cap) and you are ready to shoot. :hmm: :hmm: The time is spent making your shot and powder charges in the comfort of your shop. :idunno:

Thats it cc thank you very much for getting it up there.

ill try to get some pictures of the holes. Tinker what are you thinking can be done? A guy at work offered to tig them shut but im not sure about that.

freekforge said:
Tinker what are you thinking can be done? A guy at work offered to tig them shut but im not sure about that.

Welding would not be my first choice

How many holes and where are they, what size are they, how are you planning to remount the rib?

Guessing that the holes are only under the rib and not a ton of holes should be fixable if you’re inclined
More information please.
Remember worse case, you can line the barrel. You do have a lathe.

William Alexander

i'll try to get pictures or video showing the holes tonight after work.

MattC it isn't bragging until I start telling the prices I gave for them. :grin:

got pictures but i cant find the card adapter thingy. there are three holes tapped 8x24 the closest one to the breech is 13" away

Latest posts

Back