• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need your expertise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthompson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am buying a Pedersoli Frontier 36cal rifle off of a man later in the week. He said that it has been so long since he shot it that he couldn't remember if 2F or 3F blackpowder was recommended to shoot in it.
Do any of you guy's know which one it is? If so, about how many grains should I start out with? Thank you for your time.

Definately 3f............That Pedersoli has a patent type breech and it has a small passage that leads from the end of the barrel down to the nipple/drum area........You will need 3f for it to make it down there reliably, (but I only had this problem with the flint version) The cap will probably shoot flame in there much better than the flint version. Plus 3f will foul less and is especially for smaller bores like that 36..................Bob

3F definetly!
I would start out with 25 gr and work up from there.
I had a .32 and it really liked 23gr, when everyone was recommending 30!
Trial and error.
I would start at 25!

i have a cabelas blue ridge rifle in 36 cal........most likely the same rifle.....i shoot 30 grs of 3f.....sighted in at 30 yds...makes one ragged hole......i load...1 felt wad....015 patch....350 ball on top of the powder charge........do you have all the stuff you need?????ball puller...jags....if not maybe i can help you......

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that same rifle, and I concur with using 3F. I use a .350 ball and a .018 patch. Only 40gr would shoot tight with that combo.

I keep meaning to get out and try some .340 balls and the .018 patch, but things keep coming up! :(

Run a tight patch through the bore to see if it has any rust. If the person who is selling this gun can't remember if he shot 2F or 3F, it may be that he shot one of the subs.

If there is any hint of rust or pitting, run away...fast.

IMHO, the subs are far more corrosive than black, and if not properly cleaned will ruin a bore in no time.

God bless

While rust is not a good sign, I had a friend who never cleaned his guns properly yet some of them ,especially his 36 still shot well. The fifties were ruined by rust but even though the 36 did not look good under a bore light it still shot well.Minor rust can be handled, severe rust means a rebore and rerifling to a larger caliber.

It will most likely shoot best with fffG. I'd start with 40 grains and work up in 5 grain increments until you find what it shoots best. For a ball, I'd try a .350 with a .015 patch.

Wow! Why are so many people suggesting such heavy starting loads? Is it because they are not using Swiss? If you use Swiss, start with 20 gr.!!! I've popped many a squirrel and rabbit with just 22 gr. Extremely accurate in my rifle.

flintlock62 said:
Wow! Why are so many people suggesting such heavy starting loads? Is it because they are not using Swiss? If you use Swiss, start with 20 gr.!!! I've popped many a squirrel and rabbit with just 22 gr. Extremely accurate in my rifle.

I know what you mean. In my case, nothing would tighten up the group until I hit 40gr, and then I got one ragged hole at 25yds with my Frontier rifle.

I concur with Brett, 25 grains is a good start.

Remember that most rifles have two "sweet-spots", one on the low end and another on the high end. The advice here is good in that both sides of the equation have been represented.

Also, the old adage of 1 grain per caliber, in the .36 that would mean 36 grains, should be a fairly accurate charge. Each rifle is different, so have fun figuring-out what yours likes best, at both ends of the scale.

Dave

I want to thank everyone for their input to my post. I have plenty of .350 round balls and .015 and .018 patches. I just wasn't sure on the powder. I plan on having fun figuring out the load.

ohio ramrod said:
While rust is not a good sign, I had a friend who never cleaned his guns properly yet some of them ,especially his 36 still shot well. The fifties were ruined by rust but even though the 36 did not look good under a bore light it still shot well.Minor rust can be handled, severe rust means a rebore and rerifling to a larger caliber.

IMHO, Pyrodex is especially corrosive. Pyro contains roughly 15% of potasium perchlorate, the same component in the old corrosive primers. Percholrates can literally eat holes in a barrel, if not cleaned exceptionally well. If the current owner of this piece can't remember what he shot in it, then there is no telling what type of powder was used, or how well it was cared for.

God bless

Back