• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need to bend my barrel.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one thing no one mentioned is if bend to to correct windage,the point of impact will be "on" at only one distance. the distance will not be a factor with a smooth bore it would be be with a rifle. I have had good luck by altering the crown of the muzzle. I have moved impact 2-3 inches at 25 yds with just reliving the opposite spot on crown with my knife. This should bring some howls but it works just fine. and you can do it this way while at the range. :v

Greetings
Relieving the crown.. Now that is one I have not considered. I sure would want to approach that metal removal with alot of slow caution.
Can you add a bit more information.
Mike

When I first shot my M1795 it shot eight inches low consistantly. The stock had been replaced with an M1812 stock so I wondered if it had been used as a club at some engagement. When I was alone at the range I walked over to the bulletin board and found a spot where I could place the barrel in between some 4X4 upright posts and tweak it a little - not much pressure, just a soft push or two. It then shot 6 inches low. I continued to walk back and forth to my precision alignment facility and the ball increased it's impact by two inches until it was dead on the bulls eye at 35 yards. Uncomfortable ? Yep, for darn sure the first and second nudges, but it works.

Well, tried bending today. These barrels 'Do' have lots of spring back huh! Used 2x2 blocks under each end, and a 4" long block on top . Used a large c clamp.Moved it 40thou.? Had zero effect on point of impact. Try again another day............
Macon

This all does sound super scary. I bent a 20g fowler barrel on accident on a Moose hunt. I thought I was going to have to buy a new barrel for my JP gunstocks. A good friend of mine said lets try straighteng it back out, a week later I took 4yt in the rifle wood walk with that smoothbore. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Fellas, I know this is the smooyhbore section, but I have a question. can a rifle bbl be bent successfully this way or is it smoothies only yours hounddog :idunno:

Houndog, I bent my .54 rifle successfully. It shot high and 6 inches to the right. I stuck it between two trees and gave it a yank, then shot a group, the POI moved so I repeated until it was on target.

Many Klatch

Many Klatch...All I can say is you are a brave man. I was stressed out with a smooth bore barrel,...but a rifle... :doh:

missionary5155 said:
Greetings
Relieving the crown..
Mike

I have heard of that being done to do the final regulating of doubles.

bending barrels... I guess back in the old days they used to do it. Had on old Gunsmith tell me he used to put the sights on the side of the barrel with the bend up. And, he did mention bending barrels straight...

Might want to rig up a Godzilla sized arrow straightener. That way you can measure the bend and also find the high spot.

Basset, well, I looked at bending my barrel like this. Either I was going to have a fine shooting rifle that was shooting where the sights pointed or I was going to have a really expensive tomato stake in the back yard.

A gun that isn't accurate isn't worth having.

Many Klatch

I'm with Buzzard. Good post! :) I've done a few. An old CentreMark barrel comes to memory. Could not get it to bend.Finally after bending it so it looked like a main car spring,it bent a 1/16 inch!Still needed more.Tried again,still nothing,bent more and let it hold there ten minutes.Banged the wedding band with a compothane hammer I finally got it to bend a total 1/8 inch! I wanted more, but said screw it! Made due with this result.Softer barrels bend by just rapping it on the wedding band...against a tree or solid post! No chit!lol!

I was going to have a really expensive tomato stake in the back yard.

A gun that isn't accurate isn't worth having.

Sound wisdom... :rotf:

Took it out today but need more bending I guess. At 30 yds. it was still about 4" to the right with round ball and center of shot pattern is still to the right.Round balls also hitting low by about 5" at 30 yds. shot pattern as well but I think I can file front sight to correct elevation. So I reckon back to bending......
Macon

I, too, was apprehensive about bending my barrel. All those cartoons of Elmer Fud came to mind about banana barrels or those 90 degree versions that shoot around corners. Many Klatch showed me the technique required and all has been good shooting ever since.

Macon... I use these tools and a stiff bench top....like others it takes large Nadds and more bending to get there...it works...

Bend ON!....dan ................ 4x4 blocks... no mar leather
IMG_1047.jpg

Latest posts

Back