• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Thursday I cast a run of .36 caliber conicals, and invented what may just be the best projectile ever! I’m going to talk to Lee about making the moulds, and I promise to sell them to you guys at cost. BEHOLD! The fin makes it far more aerodynamic for greater accuracy, and doubles as a barb for increased efficiency and a better blood trail!
Jay
View attachment 320954
Kinda like a deer whistle you put on car to scare them away. Or maby use to open a beer.

On Thursday I cast a run of .36 caliber conicals, and invented what may just be the best projectile ever! I’m going to talk to Lee about making the moulds, and I promise to sell them to you guys at cost. BEHOLD! The fin makes it far more aerodynamic for greater accuracy, and doubles as a barb for increased efficiency and a better blood trail!
Jay
View attachment 320954
Nice hat hanger

Jay
View attachment 320954
Jay, I think you have a winner there. Not sure of what, but a winner.

Had a great day - went over to Marlborough and shot the 'Ted Maher Memorial Trophy' - any Black Powder Rifle;10 Shots rested at 50M on the UIT target: I shot the Bedford 40cal and finished up first equal with Bruce C. shooting a Sharps 45.70 with apertures! I matched him shot for shot in the shoot off until my third shot was a 9 he made a 10. Don't mind losing like that; as a consolation I had the highest aggregate for the day., Rudyard would have been proud! Dunc NZ was there too keeping us honest with his Earl Wyatt Flinter. A great day on a smashing little range with a great bunch of guys. My load
; 60grs Schuetzen FFFg - cast 395 ball from a GM Mould with Pillow ticking - Ox-Yoke lube.

Tue 14 May 2024: Last night I did some side plate vs two stock pilot holes to determine once and for all if the nice cast brass plate would accommodate the machine screw heads while not sloping the preformed plate. So, no go. But the rolled brass plate from Pecatonica has the rear "hump" adequately high to work perfectly. Have not inlet or drilled it...yet. Just have it scotch taped to precisely spot the marks to dimple. All day I have been working to turn down the diameter of a 3 1/2" zinc plated steel screw 8-32" to the diameter for my 5-40" die. I suspect this screw is not zinc coated steel, but stainless steel. I have the only other such screw picking in vinegar. BTW, the milling chips/fuzz particles are being picked up by the now magnetized screw or vise versa. Duuh, static electricity. Geez, I'm getting old. Whew, also, I just located the 3 nuts and the drill, tap, and die.
18-19 May 2024 Started to cut threads on 5-40 machine screw modification project and needed to go more than 1/8 inch more or, better, 1/4". But the shaft further below the die is slightly too thick. Am awaiting an accurate miniature vernier caliper that can go down to .05 mm. It has not shipped yet. Got the side plate prepped for inletting

Made smoke with the Frontier flintlock this morning. Always fun to ring steel gongs. Had a good day, rained a little but ringing the 125 yd "buffalo heart" steel gong off hand felt real good. I have not been shooting my flinter very well lately, so just worked on my breathing and follow-through.

PhotoFunia-1716137736.jpg

Finished everything on my .62 “British Officer’s Carbine” except the final touch of some paste wax. That will come after the varnish cures.
All in all, I guess I am satisfied with it. It was intended to be mostly a learning project for me (most all my previous gun projects have been kits of one sort or another), and in that regard it was a big success.
Looking forward to seeing how well this big bore rifle shoots!

Attachments

• IMG_2164.jpeg
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2166.jpeg
    IMG_2166.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 62 10.jpg
    62 10.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 62 14.jpg
    62 14.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 0
Finished everything on my .62 “British Officer’s Carbine” except the final touch of some paste wax. That will come after the varnish cures.
All in all, I guess I am satisfied with it. It was intended to be mostly a learning project for me (most all my previous gun projects have been kits of one sort or another), and in that regard it was a big success.
Looking forward to seeing how well this big bore rifle shoots!
Wow, very nice!! 👍

Just got back from Wyoming today. Laid a good family friend and muzzleloading mentor back to mother earth. I was blessed with some of his guns and tools, many books and shooting accurtments. He was a great teacher and human.

Attachments

• 20240519_152529.jpg
    20240519_152529.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240519_152518.jpg
    20240519_152518.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I got a bunch of round balls cast up and I dug out the old tackle box that has all my gun parts in it and I found a few pieces I need for a muzzleloader I recently got.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get some time to swing by a library and print off some of the targets for this month's shooting match

Just got back from Wyoming today. Laid a good family friend and muzzleloading mentor back to mother earth. I was blessed with some of his guns and tools, many books and shooting accurtments. He was a great teacher and human.
Sorry to hear of the loss of your Friend.
My Condolences too the Family & Friends..

F2320022-CCE0-4E6B-96D8-7FDC44539359.jpeg

Last edited:
Back