• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some input on a matter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelawareDan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Its been a while since I have posted. I have been quite busy and now I have returned to a matter which has been on my mind for months and that is muzzleloading. I still do not own a muzzleloader and I want to get a nice one. I also want to go through this year's entire Deer Hunting Season with only a muzzleloader during both the muzzleloader and firearms seasons. I know off the bat that a smoothbore is off the table cause for one I probably wouldnt be able to hit the broadside of a barn and for two a rifle can extend the hunting range. However now I am left at a crossroads. On one hand I would like to put together a .54 caliber Kibler rifle but I doubt I will have it done in time for hunting season in October. On the other hand a local gun shop has an 1858 Enfield Parker Hale Model its a good looker .577 caliber, the shop also has a Thompson Center Pennsylvania Hunter .50 caliber (flintlock). I was wondering which rifle of the three would best suit all year hunting and to that regard what other forum members use for a muzzleloader for an all year muzzleloader only hunt if any member has done that. Thanks for the input ahead of time.

I'd recommend the Thompson Center. A 50 caliber will kill any deer that lives and it's probably handier to get around with than a musket. I've never packed around a musket so I can't say from experience. The TC will sure enough get you by until you get the Kibler put together. Yes, all I hunt with anymore is a muzzleloader. Except dove and quail when I use a nice side by side Spanish shotgun. I'm building a 58 caliber smooth rifle so the Spaniard might take a back seat too.

In my state we have 12 month seasons and no weapons restrictions, almost everyone hunts year round with centrefires. I hunt year round with my .54 flint rifle. Any of those can do the job.

I’ve finally developed a load for my smoothbore that’s good enough for deer. I wouldn’t recommend it as a first stop for hunting. They take some practice and load development.

IMG_2613.jpeg

I still do not own a muzzleloader,,

I also want to go through this year's entire Deer Hunting Season with only a muzzleloader during both the muzzleloader and firearms seasons.
Wow, tough choices,,
Your at the very cusp of time too learn it enough to be proficient as an ethical hunter within the time frame you have given.
At this point it's not really just about money invested,, but also how much your interested and how much time you have to devote to learning curve.

If your local shop can support you with caps and ball, at this point I'd go for the Parker, a slow twist 58 is no slouch, the T/Cs are good guns but the support for them is gone and some of the factory flint locks have issues not easily resolved by a learner.
It's all because once you have the firearm, your going to go through a load development stage,,(?)
If all your "local shop" wants to do is make a gun sale,, Run Away!
Perhaps, go back to the "kit" investment idea and consider the 2024 season as your entry?
(are ya handy with whittleing wood?)

p.s. you have no idea how many posts we see two weeks before opener that go like this;
"Just got my rifle, gonin deer huntin,,, What's the max load I can use?"

Last edited:
For a beginner and for hunting, the TC all day long and then some. This would get you going and buy you time to build a kit of your choice. A .50 is all you will need for deer hunting.

When starting off with ML it takes time to learn how to do it right and get acclimated to the rifle and ML procedures. With a flintlock even more so than a percussion cap ML. Therefore, whatever ML you decide on, I recommend you get on it before too much longer.

Good luck on your new quest. Please post up whatever you come up with.

I'd get the TC PA hunter, then go and order your Kibler of choice. Since you are just starting out, getting the TC now will give you plenty of time to spend behind the gun at the range to familiarize yourself with it before season. .50 is plenty enough for any deer you'll be hunting and the TC's are, in general, good production guns, Known to be accurate and dependable. Mine will touch shots at 50yds all day if I do my part right. Good luck and keep us posted.

Its been a while since I have posted. I have been quite busy and now I have returned to a matter which has been on my mind for months and that is muzzleloading. I still do not own a muzzleloader and I want to get a nice one. I also want to go through this year's entire Deer Hunting Season with only a muzzleloader during both the muzzleloader and firearms seasons. I know off the bat that a smoothbore is off the table cause for one I probably wouldnt be able to hit the broadside of a barn and for two a rifle can extend the hunting range. However now I am left at a crossroads. On one hand I would like to put together a .54 caliber Kibler rifle but I doubt I will have it done in time for hunting season in October. On the other hand a local gun shop has an 1858 Enfield Parker Hale Model its a good looker .577 caliber, the shop also has a Thompson Center Pennsylvania Hunter .50 caliber (flintlock). I was wondering which rifle of the three would best suit all year hunting and to that regard what other forum members use for a muzzleloader for an all year muzzleloader only hunt if any member has done that. Thanks for the input ahead of time.
Call Kibler as they are moving them out pretty fast unless your season starts faster . Assembly takes hours to shooting ,finishing after the season ends /Ed

I use flintlock rifles or smoothbore year round for hunting, except varmint...can't see them well enough at 200+ yards without optics. I'm probably not as successful as I was with modern guns (but could be I'm just older and not a fault of using a muzzleloader) but I always enjoy my day out and carrying a flintlock often starts a conversation with other hunters.
Another vote for the TC gun. It will serve well as you get started.

TCs are very dependable rifles, I have two of them, TC parts are available from the Gun Works, they bought out TCs stock when TC folded. I have found that very few of the TCs that were taken care of need any parts.

That said, you could buy a Kibler Woodsrunner kit (now on sale) and have it shipped the next day, putting it together would take a few hours if you are crafty and a few days if you are not.

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/

Kibler, you know the lock is solid, you have support if you need it with assembly, you have support if you need it for shooting too. Call Kibler and they will bend over backwards to get you straightened out. If you don't have someone to show you the ropes with a flintlock it is challenging for some people, if the rifle also has issues it can cause challenges that cause people to walk away. I've seen that many times. Lots of guys on here brag up the old kit they bought for cheap, or the old commodity rifle that they bought cheap, lots of them were put in a closet and forgotten about because of a lack of support and/or skill whether that be in the assembly or use of the rifle.

Or you might be like me, I bought a flintlock, when it came in I went out and started shooting it, it didn't work well but I was able to troubleshoot my way through it with no drama and had it stacking balls at 100 yards with perfect reliability in part of an afternoon. It's hard to gauge aptitude on the interwebs, and there is a light year at least between some people and other people. My way doesn't work for everyone.

A good majority of opinions say the TC. I would agree if you were a seasoned BP shooter. If you wanted the TC Penn Hunter to start your muzzleloading adventure, I would agree again. Purchasing the flint to hunt in the time frame you have, I say this: Assuming you have a job and or other duties, you will be hunting with only a hope you can get the gun to cooperate and not the confidence one needs to bring home meat.
Larry

Of your choices I'd go with the TC now, as stated, to give you optimum learning time before season. Then, if you want a Kibler, that can become a project you can start later and finish over the winter. Then by next season you will know it inside out. Let us know what you decide.

Kibler

If they can deliver it relatively soon (call them) as Mr. Numb says you can put it together in short order. You can have it done in three weeks (even if you have a day job) including the staining and finish.

This is assuming you're not going to decorate or carve on it, only you know how long that will take.

You say you do not own one but want a nice one, that's the Kibler.

@DelawareDan, you should be made aware of the fact that flintlocks only function acceptably with real black powder. The substitute powders are a path to frustration in a flintlock. Percussion lock rifles such as the Parker Hale musket can be reliable with hot musket caps such as RWS. The CCI Reenactor caps have been less than satisfactory. Cleaning up after shooting the substitutes needs to be more thorough than cleaning up black powder fouling even though substitutes' fouling is less apparent but more corrosive.

If black powder is available, the T/C is the first choice. If there is no black powder, then the percussion musket. The best is the Kibler rifle, but if the goal is hunt with it during the upcoming deer season, the Kibler rifle must wait.

Latest posts

Back