• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need recommendation for patch-ball combination

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BE Wild Willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just picked up a custom "Tingle Style" handgun for target and small game.

Pushed a lead slug into the muzzle, pulled it back out, and got the following dimensions.

Lands were approx .340 to .342, grooves were .350 to .352. What would you recommend for a patch / ball set up?

Thanks in advance...BEWW

I would start with a .315 and a .02 patch. Since its an unusal size it might be hard to find ball for. A .327 and .015-.02 patch might work well. Play as much as you can before investing in a mold.

I spotted a .323 size at TOW, thinking I might order some of them and give it a try with the .016-.018 ticking that I have. What sayeth the brethren? Any other sources?

Yeah, if I can get away with shooting buckshot it will be one economical gun. Seeing how I'd be purchasing by the pound instead of by the hundred.

Just picked up a custom "Tingle Style" handgun for target and small game.

It should be a fine pistol. Especially if it were a real Tingle. Then it would be a highly desirable collectors item for old timers in this ml game. Tingles were fine guns and Tingle was a fine person in his own right. How about a pic?
:photoSmile:

Whether this topic needs a picture may be a matter of opinion.

Some of the Tingle pistols are fairly traditional but the only thing traditional with many of them is they load from the muzzle and they shoot black powder.

As long as a picture isn't posted, I can imagine that we are talking about something traditional. :wink:

Sorry Fellas, been away for a few days and haven't visited the thread. I'll try to get some pics posted soon.

Received .323 roundball from TOW. The fit with my .016 ticking (Walmart) seemed a little looser than I like, .018 seems to be OK. I started pricing 00 buck online and decided to take a look at my local GS. Low and behold, 1 box of Hornady on the shelf for $28 OTD (approx. 650). Tried fit with the .016, guten tight. If it shoots this well I'm going to be ecstatic!

Now all I need to do is go out and shoot once the weather clears.

OK, several versions of that idea have come around over the years. Many were of limited manufacture by builders. Can't put a name on yours. Don't show to the PC police, they will hit you over the head with it. :shocked2: :wink:

I know that it may result in a case of harassment from the PC po-po, but I'm hoping that it will be an economical plinker/small game pistol.

Latest posts

Back