• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear Pistol Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey :) Today I shot my new handmade custom Southern-style percussion bear pistol. What a great gun! Made by builder David Rase over on the American Longrifle Forum. It’s a .50 caliber smoothbore and I fired the group at approx. 8 yards. The load was Hornady .480” round balls, my homemade pocket drill patches lubed with mink oil, and 30 grains of Olde Eynsford powder. After some working on load development and practice I’m sure this will be a very accurate gun.

60A813CC-F965-4925-8180-B63A7A6755B1.jpeg

99010D6D-773E-4AFC-A8A0-527A3A0961E8.jpeg

2C5FAA84-F3E9-40BD-8FD0-018FEB839B65.jpeg

I also love the chest holster David made for the gun, and it’s based off an original. These types of pistols were used by bear hunters mainly down south back in the old days in combination with dogs. The pups would chase the bear up a tree, and the hunter would send him tumbling down with a well placed shot from a long barreled, accurate pistol that was much easier to carry in thick brush than a rifle. Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back