• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help with Offhand Shooting Technique

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cschibi

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally figured out how to be somewhat consistent with my bench rest shooting for my Kentucky flintlock...(i.e.powder load, patch thickness, & ball size at (25, 50 & 75 yards). I am using .490 patched Round ball,.10 patch with 65grains of 2FG Swiss with a 4fg Goex primer.

Now the hard part... when I move to offhand shooting, my shooting consistency falls apart really quick. At 25 yards I am Okay, but anything beyond that gets really ugly... My Kentucky flintlock has a 35 inch barrel and I position my left arm at a 45 degree angle holding the stock ~ 7 inches from the trigger guard. (I am a right handed shooter being left eye dominate).

I tend to pull high to the right, so I am aiming slightly low to the left anticipating the flash from the primer with my trigger pull.

I still cannot get any predictable consistency even at 50 yards. (i.e. hitting within the 10 ring).

Any thoughts would be be appreciated.

Chris

I am anticipating the flash from the primer with my trigger pull.

That is your problem just concentrate on the sights and
forget about the flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coupla things come to mind right away...
SAFE dry firing practice at home, as often as possible will help you establish the best mount and hold for your rifle and your body type.
Once you get that figured out, you need the discipline to NOT fire at the range when your hold is "a little bit off". A lot of points are lost in a match when you mount the rifle and know it's not quite right..., but take the shot anyway.

Also...if your measure of acceptable consistency is defined as only shots in the 10 ring, offhand from 50 yds..you're in for a LOT of disappointment.

Cut yourself some slack there pard...pick a target that won't frustrate you (I use the official NMLRA 100 yd target which has a 6 in.Bull) and make a goal of just keeping 10 shots in the black.
If you're doing that consistently..those 10 ring hits will come.
Good Luck :wink:

Yep, concentrate on the sights and the target, I do and barely see the primer going off. If you're looking for the flash of the primer you're definitely not making it easy for yourself.

Remember to breathe , foot stance , some find that lifting the rifle up to the sighting spot , pause ,hold and fire helps .

I sight all my rifles in to hit the bull at 50 yrds. I do this off of sandbags.When I shot my flintlock offhand I had the same issue you have. I was shooting to the right as well, 25 yards was good.. but 50 was about 4-6 inches off to the right of the bull... every time. My cure was ( and others may not like it) I moved my front sight to the to the right, I did this in small increments until I was in the bull. I've never had a problem with my percussion rifles...must be a flintlock thing... :grin:

Offhand and standing position are 2 different positions. the difference is that in standing, the non trigger hand can be against the body to lend support. In offhand it is away from the body. But both of them are dependent on proper foot positioning. Mount your gun, and raise it to be on target. Close your eyes for 5 seconds with the gun mounted. Open your eyes. Where are the sights aiming? If they are in a different place that when you closed them, you need to move your feet, (or other body parts). Repeat. Muscles get tired. Bones don't.

That's how you find your natural point of aim for all positions.

Off hand shooting is all about practice and consistancy, doing it nearly as possible the same each and every time. Dry firing is very good practice (called snapping in) in USMC. Place a dime on flat of bbl. practice until dime doesn't fall off---it will happen. To shoot off hand: Stand up straight, feet about 12" apart--or about under your hip joints. DO NOT grip the rifle with the hand holding the forearm, only cradle it, pull butt into shoulder with a firm grip, not as hard as you can, just tight. Take a deep breath, let some out. HOLD the breath, Do not breath while shooting, it causes a vertical shot string on target. sight and fire in 4 seconds--or take down rifle and rest. If your already doing this--sorry, just my thoughts....Tom

You've got some great advice here. The only thing I might add is the suggestion that you have a buddy photograph your stance. Get a pic from behind you and one from each side. You might study them and see if there's an improvement to be made. A video would help too, it might show if you're not following through, or if you're yanking the trigger. Good luck!!

Kudos to you, Tom. Good sound advice. Sounds like something I learned in boot camp many many years ago. But it has stuck with me. It was driven home back in 1957 and I haven't forgotten it. :thumbsup:

Chris, take Tom Kinight's advice. It is good sound advice. I might add that if you move your supporting arm back so that your elbow is supported by your side, you will have a more stable form. But listen to this and listen carefully. Watch where your left hand is. Assuming the position that I am telling you about can, if you are not careful, put your left fingers back by the pan on a flintlock. If your fingers are beside the pan when you fire, you can get a painful burn to your finger(s) from the pan flash. I know, I did it. It hurts. Okay, here is how to avoid this possible burn. Turn your supporting hand so that you are resting your forestock on the heel of your supporting hand and your fingers are on the side away from the pan. I know it sounds awkward but, with a little practice, it is not hard to do and you will be in a more stable position than if you have your hand forward on the forestock in the "normal" position with your elbow unsupported. As an alternative, you can position your hand in the normal way with your fingers on the pan side except you tuck your fingers into the palm of your hand and you rest the forestock on your fingernails and the heel of your hand. That may feel a bit more normal than the previous position. In any case, you need to make sure not to have your fingers near the pan when you fire a flintlock. Elbow into the side and fingers away from the pan. :thumbsup:

In some matches, this position may not be allowed but it is a position approved by NMLRA.

Trying to learn how to shoot flintlocks by reading a book is like try to learn to swim from a Scouting hand book. All you get is pointers if you can become a 10x shooter from reading a few tips please don't read any father you don't need any pointers that my 35 years of shooting a flintlock can do any good to you. Not being rude just honest.

IMHO what you need is a mentor who also shoots flintlock.. As 99.99% of black powder shooter' s I have met are ALWAYS willing to help a shooter out.(until your shooting is a danger to there's ). It is up to you to seek the help. As no one will come over and say to you hey your doing that wrong. Most people don't take to that to well. Don't be to proud ask for help who knows that person you introduce your self to Could become a good friend. And also the trick to shooting a flintlock is .(don't tell anyone) is pratice pratice pratice pratice and some more practice. With a little practice thrown in just for the fun of it.

Forgot to mention all the advice above is pretty good.

Ps Bill sorry forgot to click on the og posters reply button.

Thanks, yea the Marines DO tend to take marksmanship very seriously. I too had it pounded into my head on range in 1961. It comes down to "muscle memory" shoot as much as you can and your body will start to remember what to do before you tell it...practice, practice...semper-fi...Tom

Yep, Kenny, You are right, once you have the rules, all it takes is a few thousand rounds down range making sure that you are following the rules and you will be able to hit something. Knowing how to shoot and being able to shoot are two different things but you need to master both. I can't be there to show him how to shoot but I can tell him how. It's something that's better than nothing.

you'll know you have it when you have a fail to flash/fire and someone in the group mutters "nice hold"

Something else, shoot only the flint gun if you can manage for a couple years or so, "beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it"

Back