• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying whatever this pistol is?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rk2p

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recently inherited a few guns from my late grandfather, one was identified as a 1902 s&w revolver, but this one remains unanswered as to what it is, i am not a gun person but i want to know what my grandfather had, it is a muzzleloader that uses a percussion cap ( i think ) and it looks very old, i would like to know w
ybso03Q.jpg
WgZh9QB.jpg
7YgNwVQ.jpg
Ld0BCMP.jpg
hat it is called and roughly when it was made if possible

well, I'm no expert on these things but I can tell you that it is a percussion and that it was designed for concealment in a pocket, a boot, a lady's hand muff, or whatever. Often generally referred to as a "boot pistol" or depending on how small it is, a "vest pocket pistol". The general style was popular from about the mid 1800's onward.
However, the hammer and trigger mechanism on yours is really very crude. And, I have never seen anything like those curved springs or whatever they are that appear to put tension against the trigger. Brass frame. My guess is it was somebody's cobbled up homemade concoction.
Hopefully some more knowledgeable folks will be checking in on this soon.

Those were sold as a kit and a very primitive one at that back in the 60s or 50s. I have seen pictures of the kits and instructions, equally primitive, posted probably here and a long time back but I wouldn't know how to retrieve the post now. Anyway it isn't very old and in my opinion not very valuable either. I don't know if that wire (probably a spring) goes with it and if so it should be inside the pistol and not where it is.

Those were sold as a kit and a very primitive one at that back in the 60s or 50s. I have seen pictures of the kits and instructions, equally primitive, posted probably here and a long time back but I wouldn't know how to retrieve the post now. Anyway it isn't very old and in my opinion not very valuable either. I don't know if that wire (probably a spring) goes with it and if so it should be inside the pistol and not where it is.

Looks like the wire is holding the trigger in and doubling as the trigger spring. Kitchen table gunsmithing at it’s finest.

Latest posts

Back