• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for help identifying great grandfathers rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fodder411

32 Cal
Reaction score
Looking for help identifying information regarding this firearm I inherited from my Great Grandfather. I know nothing of the origin of the firearm other than we live in Ontario Canada. Any information would be helpful.

I have additional photos if required.

thanks,

Attachments

• 20230506_212118.jpg
    20230506_212118.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230506_212145.jpg
    20230506_212145.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230506_212351.jpg
    20230506_212351.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
I appreciate all the help. The barrel length is 39 inches if that gives you any more information. here is the other photo i have.

does this musket have any value? it would never be sold but curious what it would be worth.

thanks again.

Attachments

• 20230506_212219.jpg
    20230506_212219.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
They only command higher prices when in "very good" or better condition,
These converted military surplus muskets flooded the market at the beginning of the 20th century after being warehoused since the end of the US Civil war. Rapid advancements in weaponry was made during the 1850-1890's leaving 10's of thousands available,
Given it's a Great Grandfathers,, it fit's the time frame (think Sears catalog or the local general store,,$3)
Today's value? Upwards to $500
As an Heirloom of course, it's priceless,

A bit higher market value in the Canadian market. The saving grace is the wood appears to be full length and not cut down to a "sporter" like so many of them were. It is still part of the English Brown Bess history. I would say $1000 Cdn ($730 USA)

Last edited:
Hi,
It is a late pattern Brown Bess probably a pattern 1809. You really need to provide better photos showing the side plate, trigger guard, butt plate, ramrod pipes any markings on the barrel. Many were made and served in Canada. If it has a known provenance you might sell it for well over $1000 or so.

dave

Latest posts

Back