• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ottoman Pistol (?) ID Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffYo

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi All - Newbie here. Jeff from FL. My dad (passed 2010) was a big firearms collector - mostly later vintage S&W and Winchester, etc. However, this solitary piece was wrapped in a cloth in a gun cabinet drawer and I'm finally getting around to doing a little research on it. Will most likely sell but first want to get an idea of what it really is and maybe a rough estimate on value. True antique or fake? My research so far has "probably" identified it as Ottoman Empire? Whatever that means... ANY other information appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1083.jpg
    IMG_1083.jpg
    724.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    785.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1101(1).jpg
    IMG_1101(1).jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 0
Hi Jeff

Your pistol is what is commonly referred to by collectors as an Ottoman Kubur (horse) pistol. These were primarily made/used during the first three quarters of the 19th Century. (The locals used the flintlock well after the introduction of the percussion period) These pistols were extremely popular throughout many of the Ottoman countries. Your pistol appears in good condition and is typical of these pistols. It was probably made at one of the many small gun making centers in the Balkans. Often, these pistols were made with barrels, locks, and hardware that were exported from Europe (especially Italy) and assembled and decorated locally for local taste. They are often unmarked as the builders did not want the pistols traced back to any specific gun shop, as they were sold to both friend and foe alike. The decorations were usually done in a generic form so as not to disturb any religious sensibilities. Even if maker marked/signed and translated, it's usually impossible to trace the maker back to a shop. They just didn't keep the kind of records the Europeans did.

Today, with prices heading upward, my guess is your pistol might fetch $500-600.00 at auction. Even with prices heading up, these guns still do not fetch the pricing of their European counterparts. There are simply not as many collectors for them. Plus, these pistols were made by the thousands continuously through much of the 19th Century. So there are many examples still available today.

Your's is a genuine pistol. Not a later tourist copy. And in much better than average condition. A nice example. Hope this helps.

Rick

Hi Jeff

Your pistol is what is commonly referred to by collectors as an Ottoman Kubur (horse) pistol. These were primarily made/used during the first three quarters of the 19th Century. (The locals used the flintlock well after the introduction of the percussion period) These pistols were extremely popular throughout many of the Ottoman countries. Your pistol appears in good condition and is typical of these pistols. It was probably made at one of the many small gun making centers in the Balkans. Often, these pistols were made with barrels, locks, and hardware that were exported from Europe (especially Italy) and assembled and decorated locally for local taste. They are often unmarked as the builders did not want the pistols traced back to any specific gun shop, as they were sold to both friend and foe alike. The decorations were usually done in a generic form so as not to disturb any religious sensibilities. Even if maker marked/signed and translated, it's usually impossible to trace the maker back to a shop. They just didn't keep the kind of records the Europeans did.

Today, with prices heading upward, my guess is your pistol might fetch $500-600.00 at auction. Even with prices heading up, these guns still do not fetch the pricing of their European counterparts. There are simply not as many collectors for them. Plus, these pistols were made by the thousands continuously through much of the 19th Century. So there are many examples still available today.

Your's is a genuine pistol. Not a later tourist copy. And in much better than average condition. A nice example. Hope this helps.

Rick
Hi Rick - very appreciative of you taking the time to give me the overview! Thanks! Jeff

Hi Rick - very appreciative of you taking the time to give me the overview! Thanks! Jeff
You're most welcome. Glad to be of some help. If you do plan on selling the pistol, make sure you advise if the lock is in working order or not. Will make a difference in the realized price. Also, show - with the frizzen forward - of the priming pan and vent hole relationship. The prospective buyer will want to know.

Rick

Latest posts

Back