• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying this!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got this from my Dad, and Grandad. It’s always been around the house. I remember polishing it was one of my responsibilities as a boy. Can anyone help me identify it? My family originally comes from Western PA, as far back as the 1820’s. It appears to have had a spout on it at some time, but it’s awfully big for a powder flask (about 8” long, and 4” wide at the base)!

Attachments

• IMG_2530.jpeg
    IMG_2530.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2531.jpeg
    IMG_2531.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2532.jpeg
    IMG_2532.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2533.jpeg
    IMG_2533.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
It's only one part of a larger apparatus that's used to dispense powdered insecticide.
Most times it was a sulpha or calcium carbonate that was used for potato beetles or wevals.
It's missing a bellows type device that helped "spread/blow" the powder,,
It's the reservoir for the powder.

Last edited:
It's only one part of a larger apparatus that's used to dispense powdered insecticide.
Most times it was a sulpha or calcium carbonate that was used for potato beetles or wevals.
It's missing a bellows type device that helped "spread/blow" the powder,,
It's the reservoir for the powder.
Do you know of a picture of one?
It would seem to be a bit cumbersome, how would it be attached?

Back