• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some help identifying this rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newhere

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone....I'm new here and just inherited this rifle. I'm told it was a family heirloom from the revolutionary war. I'm having trouble identifying it and I'm not sure if I should get the stock fixed. Please help if you can.

Attachments

• rifle 3.jpg
    rifle 3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • rifle 2.jpg
    rifle 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • rifle 1.jpeg
    rifle 1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Definitely NOT used in the revolutionary war. You have a plain Jane percussion rifle with a back action percussion lock. Probably made from 1840’s - 1880’s. If you can rub some white chalk into any stampings on the barrel or lock, and wipe off the excess, you and the rest of us can see them better. If the bore condition is ok, it may be worth restoring as a shooter. It’s worth repairing as a family heirloom regardless.

Thanks so much! I tried the chalk, but it didn't help much. The most i can decipher on the barrel so far is WHA on top. The lettering below I can't figure out. I thought that pointing dog on the stock would help identify something, but I haven't found anything so far. Any tips on what not to do with this rifle right now? I seem to be doing everything wrong with these things I've inherited.

Other than oiling the metal, I would do nothing until you decide on a mode of stock repair. Definitely keep all chemicals away from the stock break as they will interfere with any glue attempts.
I would also drop a ramrod down the bore to measure on the outside to make sure it isn't loaded.

If the wood condition is crumbly fragile , not much can be done with it. I've seen a couple so granular , fixing isn't feasible. If youlike the gun , best option might be to just build a close copy of it , using the original as a pattern piece. Best of luck to you...........oldwood

Latest posts

Back