• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need advice on filing front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRL1164

36 Cal.
Reaction score
So I had my Traditions Pennsylvania Rifle for about 2 years now. Since I've sighted it in I have the rear adjusted all the way up and to the right as far as it'll go and it's spot on between 25-45 yards but anything beyond that gets hairy. My plan for this rifle is a good 50-75 yard gun possibly out to 100 if need be. I know this all dependent on shooting skill, practice and so on. But one of the stepping stones to me is filing the front sight. I'm scared to death to do it. Something about filing metal away on a $700 gun is unnerving to me.

I'm looking for tips, tricks of the trade and any advice. And if it helps I'm shooting a .490 round ball with a .015 lubed patch and 70 grains of Goex FFG.

I'd file away if it needed it. yes it's a 700 dollar gun but, a new front sight would be around 10 bucks if ya do happen to mess it up.

I suggest you adjust the sight halfway down again so you have adjustment, then take a shot at 50 yards, see how low you are and start filing the front sight down. The front sight is $7 so you are not out much if you screw it up. :hatsoff:

Claude said:
JRL1164 said:
... I have the rear adjusted all the way up and to the right as far as it'll go...
File the front down and move it to the left.

How do I move the front blade to the left it seems pretty fixed.

+1 what Claude said, center up your rear sight Run it down about half way them move the front sight over a little.

To protect the barrel get a piece of leather about 3x3in square cut a slit in the center poke the front sight up threw it and file away.

Most sights dovetailed into the barrel and moved by driving
them with a brass punch

one more tip when you start to file the sight keep track of your
storks start with 10 fire a couple of shots and see how much you have moved the ball up the target

So literally just knock the front blade to the left? And all is fine? Where do most of y'all find your brass hammer and punches at?

an extra brass wedge can be used as a punch. for a hammer, a small ball-peen will work as well as a brass hammer.

JRL1164 said:
So literally just knock the front blade to the left? And all is fine? Where do most of y'all find your brass hammer and punches at?

Not the blade but the metal base it is attached to.

Also, I would shoot it more and see if you can get

SEPAflint said:
JRL1164 said:

Not the blade but the metal base it is attached to.

Also, I would shoot it more and see if you can get

A bit of tape on the barrel to protect it from any errant filing will protect bluing/ browning.

Won't tell you how I know

Squirrel Duster said:
A bit of tape on the barrel to protect it from any errant filing will protect bluing/ browning.

HA! yeah, me too...

Squirrel Duster said:

And me makes three..... :haha:

Also don't drop your file on concrete.....That makes you cuss too......

JRL1164 said:
Where do most of y'all find your brass hammer and punches at?

Personally, I have never purchased one of those fancy brass punches that are sold in sets or singly. No need to and a lot of the time you have to file them to fit what you are doing anyway.

I usually just cut off a length of brass rod to make mine. However, if you don't have access to brass rod, then what I suggest is go to a Boat Supply/Marine/Repair shop and buy a brass or bronze bolt that is close to the size punch you need. File off the threads and then file that end to whatever shape you need. File a flat on the other end.

I agree there is no need to use a brass hammer with a brass/bronze punch.

Gus

Something else at least some of us seem to be confused about on your sights. (I know I am confused about it.)

What we need to know is if the front and rear sight are centered on the barrel or if not, are they to the right or left of center AND how far from the center? We need to know the location of each sight, individually.

Gus

Back