• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms Co.Black Powder Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prairieofthedog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Attending a farm auction that has a Navy Arms BP shotgun.From a little research,I know these shotguns are made by pedersoli or pietta SP? Were these shotguns made by any other gun maker?Have not seen pictures of it,but auctioneer says it it is in good shape.Will not know condition till I handle it at auction.What would be a fair price for a good condition Navy Arms BP stotgun? Thanks!

I have a Navy Arms Pietta that I purchased new in 1986 for $349.99. In today's market I think NIB will bring $500 easy and a well used one in "not so good" condition will be somewhere around the $200 to $250 price range. As was said condition is everything - also is the "how much do you want it" figures into the price!

Yes,all I know is I cant afford a new Pedersoli.I think they are pushing $1,000 bucks!I hope this one is in good shape because around here Traditional muzzleloaders usually don't bring a lot of money.least if it is in good shooting order and buy it right,I won't feel bad banging it around hunting!

Every time I've picked up a Pedersoli, it makes me glad I own a Navy Arms Pieta! They're lighter by a lot and much better balanced for general field use. The Pedersoli fields more like a classic "duck gun" to me due to the heavier weight and much more muzzle heavy feel.

Back in the early 1970's I bought my first Pieta from Navy Arms and used it for everything including ducks and geese. Let it go when steel shot came along and before bismuth showed up. Really regretted it later, and eventually bought another used. Paid more for it than the first one cost new. And was proud to have it. Still am.

Prairieofthedog said:
Attending a farm auction that has a Navy Arms BP shotgun.From a little research,I know these shotguns are made by pedersoli or pietta SP? Were these shotguns made by any other gun maker?Have not seen pictures of it,but auctioneer says it it is in good shape.Will not know condition till I handle it at auction.What would be a fair price for a good condition Navy Arms BP stotgun? Thanks!

Might look around a bit at the auction... Navy Arms sold some with two sets of barrels. 14" and 28".

I agree the Pietta/Navy doubles are much livelier in the hands than the Pedersolis -- especially those with interchangeable chokes. The extra steel needed for the threads at the muzzle ruin the balance of the Pedersolis, at least in my experience.

Just got back from auction.It was a Pedersoli,but bought it anyway LOL!Very good shape,no cracks in wood,inside barrels good,outside blueing on barrels has some use patina.But pretty happy with it.

BrownBear said:
Every time I've picked up a Pedersoli, it makes me glad I own a Navy Arms Pieta! They're lighter by a lot and much better balanced for general field use. The Pedersoli fields more like a classic "duck gun" to me due to the heavier weight and much more muzzle heavy feel.

Back in the early 1970's I bought my first Pieta from Navy Arms and used it for everything including ducks and geese. Let it go when steel shot came along and before bismuth showed up. Really regretted it later, and eventually bought another used. Paid more for it than the first one cost new. And was proud to have it. Still am.
Enclosed are images of a sxs percussion 12 bore by Pedersoli and a 12 bore sxs percussion gun by Navy Arms both these guns I purchased in the late 1960s for the Pedersoli and early 1970 for the Navy Arms. Out of these two guns the Navy arms is the heavier both shoot well with a load of 2.3/4drms black powder to 1.1/8 oz of shot for which I have shot some good bags of pigeon ,the best was with the Pedersoli with a bag of 86 one morning over a field of beans.
Feltwad

tumblr image hosting

Feltwad,what is the nipple size of your Pedersoli shotgun?Seems the new ones are 1/4 x28.I was told my gun was over 20 years old,so is the nipple size the same on them?Thanks.

Feltwad,I guess mine is over 20 years old LOL! I pulled the barrel and had AA by the PN stamp which if I am right means the gun was built in 1975.Thanks.

Prairieofthedog said:
Feltwad,what is the nipple size of your Pedersoli shotgun?Seems the new ones are 1/4 x28.I was told my gun was over 20 years old,so is the nipple size the same on them?Thanks.
Muzzle loading percussion shotguns made in Italy such has Pedersoli. Navy Arms. and Berretta the nipples are 1/4 UNF.
Feltwad

Interesting gun, with what I would guess are faux laminated twist barrels. Looks quite nice.

Those old Pedersolis are much lighter than the current production. I believe that Navy Arms has sold both (as well as Piettas) at different times.

A gun in good condition will sell for an average of $600-700. Those $200-300 guns are exceptions not the rule, nationwide.

Don't forget that the early Pedersoli shotguns from the early 1980s and earlier weigh less than six pounds. Save for the very late Pietta's, they all weighed just over seven pounds and I've yet to see one other than cylinder bore for both barrels.

Navy Arms sold both manufacturer's doubles through the years.

The Pietta's weak points are the thin material around the main tang screw, one of mine is broken. The bridles are white metal and not interchangeable with Pedersoli as I was told. That same gun has both bridles broken. They haven't been made since 1994 so Mr. Beauchamp at Flintlocksetc. is our only source of parts.

The old Pedersoli is a pure joy to shoot on the wing with light loads. The Pietta is also a great shooter and can easily absorb heavier loads on this old shoulder.

Latest posts

Back