• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms Co.Black Powder Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is the Pedersoli,made in 1975.I think the weight on it is great.Have any idea what the chokes were on a Pedersoli of that vintage?This gun looks like it was shot sparingly in the 70's and in the gun rack since.Still had what looks like original nipples in it.The gun was covered in 40 some years of tar,nicotine,grease,grunge.Cleaned everything with soap and water and it cleaned up beautifully. Cleaned locks and replaced nipples and it functions great.For my first SXS I'm happy with it!

The old Pedersolis are 13 gauge guns. One of mine has .710 bores and another has .719 bores. Most were cylinder bore but some were full/full or modified/full. I like them to be the same and all are save for my 10 bore where the left barrel is .010" tighter than the right.

The bridles are actually interchangeable between Pedersoli and Pietta between the shotguns I have. The Pedersoli are machined steel. The company that sells replacement parts for antique guns that uses 3 letters for it's name sells them. I would try to find it but when I try to do that in the middle of a post, I end up losing the post on this idiot tablet I am on right now.

how did you convert the PIETTA to a flint lock with the nipples on the top of the barrels, a flint lock has to have a vent hole on the side of the barrels, and what brand of locks did you use?

Not being one to just try to stir things up, I still feel I should say something on 2 of the points brought up in this discussion:

As far as the matter of weight goes, both of my Pedersoli guns are lighter in weight than the one Navy Arms (Pietta) that I own. One Pedersoli is a 10 gauge and the other one is a 12. The Pietta is a 12 gauge. Perhaps the "Waterfowl" versions of these Pedersoli guns are the heavier guns? Both of mine are not choked and I know they sold the Waterfowl versions that had choked barrels.

And then, on interchangeability of the lock bridles, they are actually interchangeable. The place where I bought mine assured me that they were and indeed they were. At $40.00 each side, cost me $80.00. As I mentioned in another thread, the company is one called VTI. They specialize in all sorts of replacement parts.

I have accumulated a few of the different kinds over the years but my favorites are the N.R. Davis originals I bought from the same seller off of one of the online bidding places. They usually get attention at any public range and then I become a regular promoter for black powder shooting. It is a lot of fun and I feel hopeful that I may have helped to influence someone to get into this wonderful way to shoot.

Have fun and be safe!

I have a navy arms imported pedersoli T and T trap and turkey with full and full chokes. Also have a pedersoli sxs 12 BORE cyl x cyl made in 1971. 3 digit serial number. Both are great shooters.

I have a Pedersoli 12 sxs with original chokes. Pedersoli told me it was made in 1971. I also have a Navy Arms T/T made by Pedersoli chokes are full/full. Over powder wads are tight. Both are excellent shooters .

That caught my interest!

What specific parts does it take to accomplish that?

Sorry, just saw this. I had new breech plugs made. They were longer than the original plugs, so the lug that the wedge goes through on the bottom of the barrel had to be different. The guy that did mine welded an "extension" on to make it in the right place. The new locks had to be inletted, they were slightly different size than the originals. I had the work done, as I am not talented enough to do it myself.

how did you convert the PIETTA to a flint lock with the nipples on the top of the barrels, a flint lock has to have a vent hole on the side of the barrels, and what brand of locks did you use?

I had new breech plugs made. The locks I used were L&R as they were the only ones I could find with left and right matching locks.

No Deer, thanks' for the reply. It is all ways easier when some one takes the time to explain.

I know this is opening an old thread, but I just picked up a couple of black powder doubles really cheap. The person who had them wanted $200 for the both of them. The lady he was selling them for just wanted them out of the house. Her kids took all of the modern guns, but didn't want these. I told him I would take them sight unseen. Turns out one was a Navy Arms 12 made by Pedersoli with browned barrels, the other was a 20 gauge made by a company AMR (I'd never heard of them). They were both a bit dusty, but cleaned up nicely. With the 20, someone had replaced the (I'm assuming) metal butt plate with a Pachmyr. I'll probably remove it and make a covering out of leather.

I know this is opening an old thread, but I just picked up a couple of black powder doubles really cheap. The person who had them wanted $200 for the both of them. The lady he was selling them for just wanted them out of the house. Her kids took all of the modern guns, but didn't want these. I told him I would take them sight unseen. Turns out one was a Navy Arms 12 made by Pedersoli with browned barrels, the other was a 20 gauge made by a company AMR (I'd never heard of them). They were both a bit dusty, but cleaned up nicely. With the 20, someone had replaced the (I'm assuming) metal butt plate with a Pachmyr. I'll probably remove it and make a covering out of leather.
You done good! Mic the barrels & check to see if they are choked or cylinder bore. These shotguns varied quite a bit in bore diameter, so it's important that you know the bore diameter to get the right size wads & cards for loading. My 12 gauge mics @ 12 gauge. My 20 mics as a 19 gauge. Track of the Wolf has all the different sizes. If they have a full choke I recommend you have it honed out as loading is difficult. Modified or less you can inset the card or wad vertically until you are past the choke then flatten it to push down the barrel. Cylinder bore is what I prefer. I just play with different load combos to get good patterns. These shotguns are 30 yard guns at best because of the lower velocity, but very fun & satisfying to hunt with. The last Navy arms 12 gauge I saw at auction was Pietta made & a nice clean example, but had been used. It went for over $500. They are every bit as good as the current Pedersoli's made today.

You done good! Mic the barrels & check to see if they are choked or cylinder bore. These shotguns varied quite a bit in bore diameter, so it's important that you know the bore diameter to get the right size wads & cards for loading. My 12 gauge mics @ 12 gauge. My 20 mics as a 19 gauge. Track of the Wolf has all the different sizes. If they have a full choke I recommend you have it honed out as loading is difficult. Modified or less you can inset the card or wad vertically until you are past the choke then flatten it to push down the barrel. Cylinder bore is what I prefer. I just play with different load combos to get good patterns. These shotguns are 30 yard guns at best because of the lower velocity, but very fun & satisfying to hunt with. The last Navy arms 12 gauge I saw at auction was Pietta made & a nice clean example, but had been used. It went for over $500. They are every bit as good as the current Pedersoli's made today.
I have both Pietta and Navy and the differences are in the lockwork, the wood and fit & finish. Good news is the Pietta lock parts made of pot metal can be replaced with Pedersoli machined steel parts. I knw, I did it. My Pietta was a Navy Arms import too. Other than that. I'm happy with them both.

A gun in good condition will sell for an average of $600-700. Those $200-300 guns are exceptions not the rule, nationwide.

Don't forget that the early Pedersoli shotguns from the early 1980s and earlier weigh less than six pounds. Save for the very late Pietta's, they all weighed just over seven pounds and I've yet to see one other than cylinder bore for both barrels.

Navy Arms sold both manufacturer's doubles through the years.

The Pietta's weak points are the thin material around the main tang screw, one of mine is broken. The bridles are white metal and not interchangeable with Pedersoli as I was told. That same gun has both bridles broken. They haven't been made since 1994 so Mr. Beauchamp at Flintlocksetc. is our only source of parts.

The old Pedersoli is a pure joy to shoot on the wing with light loads. The Pietta is also a great shooter and can easily absorb heavier loads on this old shoulder.
I bought the bridles for my Pietta built Navy Arms double from an outfit named VTI. They had the same part # as the Pedersoli so I bought them and they fit just like they said.

My Pedersoli is an early lightweight one and before I plunked down the money, I swapped the ones from the Pedersoli right into the Pietta and they fit and functioned perfectly. So if they didn't fit on yours, it must be a difference in date of manufacture. VTI only had one size listed that I saw. They were pretty pricey too.

Enclosed are images of a sxs percussion 12 bore by Pedersoli and a 12 bore sxs percussion gun by Navy Arms both these guns I purchased in the late 1960s for the Pedersoli and early 1970 for the Navy Arms. Out of these two guns the Navy arms is the heavier both shoot well with a load of 2.3/4drms black powder to 1.1/8 oz of shot for which I have shot some good bags of pigeon ,the best was with the Pedersoli with a bag of 86 one morning over a field of beans.
Feltwad

tumblr image hosting

Maybe who is the maker of the Navy Arms gun?

Back