• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Napping your flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For retouching gun flints I like a little copper rod set in a handle. Search flint knapping tools pressure flaker.

1675110710282.jpeg

Last edited:
I use this, patterned after an English flint knapping tool many years ago.

Attachments

• 20200226_185556.jpg
    20200226_185556.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200226_185549.jpg
    20200226_185549.jpg
  • 20200226_185535.jpg
    20200226_185535.jpg
Are you considering selling any?

I would be interested.
No, it was made by a fellow in 1970. It works great and would not be hard to make. The sharp corners make nice little chips in the edge of the flint with very little effort.

For the 2 years I have been shooting flintlocks I have always struggled with knapping my flints well, usually end up doing more damage than good. A week or so ago I was watching a video where the shooter was knapping between shots and he made mention that he always places his finger under the bottom of the edge of the flint while tapping with his little brass hammer. I tried it myself last time out and was amazed at how easily it flacked and how much control I had. For tapping, I just use the spine of my patch knife or my turnscrew, no need to carry an extra tool.

Chris

For the 2 years I have been shooting flintlocks I have always struggled with knapping my flints well, usually end up doing more damage than good. A week or so ago I was watching a video where the shooter was knapping between shots and he made mention that he always places his finger under the bottom of the edge of the flint while tapping with his little brass hammer. I tried it myself last time out and was amazed at how easily it flacked and how much control I had. For tapping, I just use the spine of my patch knife or my turnscrew, no need to carry an extra tool.

Chris
That's a great way to cut yourself too. Flint shards are sharp!

I use this, patterned after an English flint knapping tool many years ago.
So explain to me how this works please ... It just looks like a piece of 1/2 inch square, with a screwdriver tip peened into the side of the square stock, and the whole thing mounted in a handle. I can easily make that as I have all that metal on hand. Does it work like hammer, using the screwdriver tip to knap the flint ??
Ohio Rusty ><>

So explain to me how this works please ... It just looks like a piece of 1/2 inch square, with a screwdriver tip peened into the side of the square stock, and the whole thing mounted in a handle. I can easily make that as I have all that metal on hand. Does it work like hammer, using the screwdriver tip to knap the flint ??
Ohio Rusty ><>
The screwdriver is threaded into square metal part. The piece is heavy, but not used as a hammer. The handle is loosely held between the thumb and index finger and bounced along the edge of the fint: the weight of the tool does the work, and the edge of the square makes nice small chips on the edge of the flint. The screw driver is used to tighten the jaw screw, and is not used to knap the flint. This tool was made in 1970. I am the second user and have used it the past 30 years, and have found nothing better. I hope you make one to use: you will like it.

No, it was made by a fellow in 1970. It works great and would not be hard to make. The sharp corners make nice little chips in the edge of the flint with very little effort.
Thanks, always looking for unique things to give away at our local prize shoot.

Back