• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

n.y. youth hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its great that youth are allowed to hunt, I'm just not sure it requires a special season.

I've got several of Brian Beckum's DVD's where he hunts w/bp in Georgia. Great terrain, beautiful. Not sure I'd like to deal with the heat and snakes and such though. Good video's. :wink:

I think its great that youth are allowed to hunt, I'm just not sure it requires a special season.
:thumbsup: agreed!

I have a friend who hunts in georgia with blackpowder..tells me ya gotta use tomato-like camo!. :shocked2: gotta blend in... and evidently..it works! :wink:

i saw a young kid today draggin a deer out when i was coming in for some muzzleloading for squirrel and he had shot his doe with a traditions .50 cal just like mine granted he was using 80 grains while i use 60 ( or 25 in the case of squirrel)

but he had a flintlock as his "rifle" gave me hope in the world, i almost wanted to talk his dad into having them stop by my house so i could teach him to use a real bow too a real stick and string

Ezekiel,

Actually, NYB and the NYS Muzzleloaders Assoc. sent a joint proposal to the DEC in 2009 that was a compromise between the 2 groups that actually did allow for a muzzleloader season. As is typical with the DEC, it was ignored. However, you should at least have your facts straight before bashing NYB over stopping a primitive season. You will be hard pressed to find another organization that worked with the bowhunters and muzzleloaders to come up with a compromise. NYB and the NYSMA did work together. It unfortunately got no where, but you should not be bad mouthing NYB over that.

Adkarcher

I hate to sound negative and dismal; but I no longer trust the NYS DEC as a whole. They care about $$$$$ pure and simple and they also are influenced to a great degree by the auto insurance lobby who IMHO wouldn't care if all deer died.
Years ago in Otsego Lake we had a lot of walleyes. Enough so that ENCON Offs. babysat the feeder streams during spawn 24/7. Suddenly it stopped sometime during the late 70/80's. And the walleyes were GONE. They gave the sportsman's club every reason and excuse they could until years later(under much pressure) they admitted to shocking them out of the feeders and taking them to another lake. (Delta I think)
That's why I don't trust DEC.
Things were better off years ago IMHO when you had two weeks of gun; preceeded by two weeks of bow and it was done. I think money has corrupted many game departments as it has many parts of our society.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Pennsylvania allows kids to hunt (with an adult member of the family) at 12. But a child under 12 (as young as 8) can go on a Mentored Hunt
under the direct supervision of an adult mentor.
Can't hold the gun unless kid is stationary, and adult must be within arm's reach at all times. Only 1 gun between the two.
No problems that I am aware of.
Check out the Pa Game Commission website.

I'm with ya tinstar...i know there are people trying to do there job the right way, but management is all about $$$ an politics..

and pretty sure in n.y. kid has to be 12 jus to hold a gun....

RC,

We had a game warden(oh, sorry! That's Encon Officer to be PC HeHe!)that came to our local gun club meeting once and told us that when the state built the new DEC building on Wolf Rd in Albany it was the start of the ruination of the dept. He siad it would be filled with desks, computers, and office workers that have little or no knowledge of the outdoors and likely wouldn't even care. Bureaucrats! He has long since passed away since he made that comment but it was spot on.
We need a separate fish and game dept. in NYS.

Just my HO.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

:thumbsup: Agreed! when the head of encon is appointed by the govenor,,it all turns to politics---an hence $$$.........an wildlife goes to the bottom...we'll never see a change..they make the numbers up, and make them work for themselves...stinks! :cursing:

Yet it was the NYB that stood in the way of the Youth Hunt and almost destroyed the event permanently. It took some maneuvering to get that through and still end up with the legal use of the crossbow.The Crossbow and NYS Muzzleloaders need to form a coalition with several other clubs and hunters group to put the NYB in their place. And before anyone asks, yes I have participated in these efforts for both NYXBow and NYSMA for several years now. "Doc"

Oh never mind, I quote: A Primitve Season involve a true black powder gun, either flint or percussion---NO INLINES---(that word makes me retch".

Interesting, in lines do not belong in a muzzleloader season, but a xbow is a bow and belongs in archery season. Hmmmm.

Anyhow, I just feel that the youth hunt should have been the Sat. and Sunday before the regular season and go back to the Monday opener. And lower the age to 12 for all implements, that would be much more beneficial than a weekend hunt. We can agree to disagree on the timing of the season.

in lines do not belong in a muzzleloader season,
thats the thing..if it was primitive arms in lines be out,,but ml season opened the door,,,

agree with youth hunt sat an sun reg season start monday..

an with an adult, youth should be able to shoot,,,law says 12 jus to hold gun... :doh:

I agree, today's in line is a single shot rifle and not primitive at all. I own a T/C New Englander and a CVA in-line and hunt with both. My CVA has more knockdown power than my 30.06. I just find it strange that many of the guys that hate in lines and will not support that have no issues with the xbow in archery season. A xbow to many bowhunters is what an in-line is to many of the muzzleloader guys. If they made in-lines illegal during MZ season, it personally would not bother me at all - JMO. I always wanted to see the rifle season pushed back and have a muzzleloader season right after archery season and before the regular gun season like in the northern zone. The DEC never would because the gun hunters would not be happy. Funny, now that I am in NC, they actually have that natural progression of seasons - bow, MZ and then rifle. Oh well, there are plenty of opportunities for all. I know that I frequently use my bow during rifle season and for years I did not have a decent shotgun, so I used my New Englander (rifles were not legal in the SZ then) during the regular season. All implements are legal now, so no one has an excuse for not hunting with what they want, except for the newly formed slingshot organization - they have some work to do yet. :)

slingshot.........shhhhhhh! :wink:
wish....xbows were legal for the actual handicap..i know a few that no way could pull back a bow....an the only thing that bothers me about crossbow (an I know nothin really) is seems the actual effective range and advertised lethal range are vastly diff,,as it is in some minds...i ve jheard they're lethal out to 70 yds..but lethal on what? chipmunk deer chickadee??
no matter..soons state can figure a $$$ way.. everything will be in! :surrender:

I do not see how the crossbow is the equivilant to the inline. The crossbow has been around a very long time. The inline (mordern types) has been around only a short amount of time.
apples and oranges

also the crossbow is only available to handicaped hunters around these parts

Latest posts

Back