• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

n.y. youth hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
n.y. has signed a bill to let 14-15 yr olds hunt deer,w/firearms,with supervision...should get interesting..cause youth hunt weekend oct 6-8 is same as first weekend of bow season..wish..for everyone's sake..they had it the sat. and sunday before thanksgiving that is usually the opener anyway..
with all the leaves still on in oct. could be a scary thing...
DEC ANNOUNCES DETAILS FOR COLUMBUS DAY WEEKEND YOUTH DEER HUNT

The Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has confirmed that junior hunters ages 14-15 will be able to hunt deer during a special youth firearms deer season over Columbus Day Weekend this year, October 6 through October 8, 2012.

“Implementation of this youth deer hunt is a hallmark moment for New York hunters and represents continued efforts of DEC to engage more young people in nature and outdoor recreation,” said DEC Commissioner Joe Martens.

The youth deer hunt will take place Columbus Day weekend in both the Northern Zone and Southern Zone; a youth hunt was not established on Long Island due to restrictions in the Environmental Conservation Law. Junior hunters (ages 14-15) with a big game hunting license will be eligible to take one deer of either sex with a firearm when properly accompanied by a licensed and experienced adult. Junior hunters may use a Deer Management Permit or Deer Management Assistance Program tag for an antlerless deer or, during the youth firearms season only, they may use their regular season tag to take a deer of either sex.

In areas restricted to bowhunting only (Westchester County and parts of Albany and Monroe counties), junior hunters may only use bowhunting equipment to take deer during the youth hunt weekend. “Bowhunting seasons remain open during the youth hunt, but I encourage bowhunters to set your bow aside for the weekend and be a mentor for a youth’s first firearms deer hunt,” Commissioner Martens stated.

While there is pending legislation that may impact future youth hunts, until it has been acted on, DEC’s regulations remain in effect. More details of the Youth Firearms Deer Hunt, rules for junior hunters and their mentors, and several frequently asked questions are available at www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/46245.html.

I'm not a big fan of this. Yes I have kids, and yes they went hunting with me, like I did with my father. Yep, we worked for our deer, but got 'em. I think if you wanted to have a youth hunt, it should immediately precede gun season. But that's just me.

And another unpopular thought.... :grin: I would love to have a primitive muzzleloader season also.

:applause: YES,YES,YES!!I SECOND THAT A PRIMITIVE MUZZLELOADER SEASON !! YES,YES
Have Fun
Phil

youth hunt be great saturday an sunday before thanksgiving...reg season open monday like used too..that way, if kid got interested,,could go hunting again thanksgiving day,,,with family like good ole days..an not have to wait 6 weeks!
muzzle season always seems to be "doe only"..my area don't need doe only shootin..i don't care what those numbers say..i'm in the woods..albany ain't
:cursing:

Albany is changing too many things too quickly in my opinion, but I will concede, I don't like change. I'm not a fan of QDM either. I just want to be left alone to enjoy the woods and hunt what I want to hunt. Antlers don't mean a darn thing to me, I am more than happy to shoot a doe for the freezer.

SG..I have nothin against shooting adoe..its the having 4 tags each that bothers me..I get to late ml season last year 4 of us had 12 tags we could legally fill with doe..thats jus 4 of us! if there was a tag,,even two.or a tag for a weapon(bow ml, or rifle) but, I firmly believe my area can't take the beatin the state gives it with all the tags and the crop damage permits system...jus sad when I started you got one tag..for the year,,an if you were lucky you got a "deer management permit" with 3 other guys,,, but ya seen deer every day,,hard to take a kid out today an get him excited about huntin ..by not seeing any deer..jus my opinion..wish I could do my taxes the way encon figures deer population..I'd be rich!
sidelocks Cin,,,but never happen,..knight cva an tc have them in court in a second..

RC, I agree with you about the number of tags. This year I have tags for 5 deer. I would never fill that many if I had the chance, but I will shoot two does if the opportunity presents itself. I don't know too many folks that are interested in shooting does. Most want the big bucks. I killed one decent buck, and to be honest, he tasted like he smelled, and I could tell every time we ate him, as compared to a fat doe he shared the freezer with. I process my own meat and do it all the same way each time. I don't think we have to worry about too many folks filling all their doe tags. But if your going to eat them, then go ahead and fill them. Every time I see a deer get hit by a car here, and thats probably a dozen that I know about within a mile of home, I think its such a waste, so I'm OK with putting a couple of them in the freezer where they will be put to good use. Yeah, I know the crows have to eat too.

I think this forum has a pretty good definition of primitive "traditional" muzzleloaders. And no, we'll never see it. The last Fir-Fish-Game mag I got has an article about shooting bp guns over 200 yards. I'm pretty sure thats not what these seasons were designed for, but what do I know.

And the crop damage permits seem to be way outta control, but then again, I can only see it from my small piece of NY, maybe it all makes sense in totality. IDK

the difference is greene county herkimer county..i haven't seen a road kill in5 months around here...an don't see many deer either,,,just I have no faith in n.y. encon system for counting deer...if it really worked,,the census bureau would stop sendin out all that paperwork an jus go to the cemeteries and count all the dead..an tell ya how many is alive..
again I hve no problem with killing doe..if the population is there..you are very fortunate.I used to be..

I think the blessing here, at least as far as deer numbers, is that there is so much sanctuary around where I live. I'm a short ways outside of a village where the deer eat folks plants up to their hearts content. Then there is a huge private development with no hunting. Then we have the land that is posted to all hunting. And at last we have the little bit of land left to actually hunt on. So basically for every deer you kill, there are 75 more standing on someones lawn laughing at you. It is getting tough around here to find a place to hunt that is for sure. I give it 10-15 years and hunting as I know it will be over.

yup....seems everything has its price these days.... I got alotta land to hunt..but hate to see snow come, cause then ya know fer sure they ain't there..did however.. :grin: have a nice buck jump out in front of me today..there is hope! :thumbsup:

I have to agree with you on this. So much development and subdivision and influx of people who are unfriendly to hunters that our area will be impossible to hunt in a few years. Its already very hard to find a place.

As far as the youth hunt, I'm all for getting kids into hunting....but this reeks of all that "give every kid a trophy just for showing up" kinda stuff. Generations of hunters had to start on the normal opening weekend at a young age, I don't think is the ticket to saving NY hunting. I think this is likely all about revenue. I doubt that the lives of bowhunters will be threatened to the degree they claim, but I do think that more than a few of the bullies and man-children with "my-deer" syndrom (we all know a few) with be using the weekend and a youth to get that 11-pointer before he is spooked, without putting in the time and effort required.

Your "muzzleloading only" season, or better a "primitive muzzleloading season" are in the hands of an unlikely group in NYS. They are the NYS Bowhunters ASS.---who have opposed anything that interferes with "Their" Arhery Season. This is a relatively small group (2500) with a long history of Big Mouths and vicious attacks on those who want to interefere one iota upon "Their" season.They have recently been instrumental on denying a true Crossbow season and have also defeated several attempts to get a "primitive" muzzleloading season. The Archery Season is and remains untouchable because of these gangsters. So the rest of New York Sportsmen can go unsatisfied. A Primitve Season involve a true black powder gun, either flint or percussion---NO INLINES---(that word makes me retch". In PA the ML season was purely flint only for the longest time, I believe it too has gone to the dark side with inlines.The trouble in NY is that we cannot get the State Assembly to get it's "minds" functioning at the same time, or at all. :idunno: "Doc"

well Doc..I'll agree with what you said except that as powerful as that bowhunters association seem..I'm amazed they "let" this youth hunt gothru on opening weekend of bow,,both north an south...and we ..well I am sure their will be many who use the kid an the season to fill their tags...an then the ones lookin fer the trophy..it ain't gonna be purdy..I'd be all for this youth hunt had it been scheduled sat an sun before thanksgiving,,,right now I'm hopin an prayin fer a monsoon weekend..this state jus constantly amazes me,,an never in a good way... :doh:

RC said:
the difference is greene county herkimer county..i haven't seen a road kill in5 months around here...an don't see many deer either,,,just I have no faith in n.y. encon system for counting deer...if it really worked,,the census bureau would stop sendin out all that paperwork an jus go to the cemeteries and count all the dead..an tell ya how many is alive..
again I hve no problem with killing doe..if the population is there..you are very fortunate.I used to be..

Come on down to Sullivan County. I see road kill every day, and I literally can't think of a single person who hasn't hit a deer with their vehicle in the past few years. I hit 3 in 5 years. I have had 2 friends die because they hit deer with their motorcyles this summer, too.

The damn deer are overrunning us here because of 2 main reasons. The first is loss of interest in hunting. The number of hunters have declined quite a bit over the past 20 years. The second is the loss of land to hunt. Most of the land I hunted on years ago has been bought up by NYC residnets, and they let no one hunt their property.

What is moving north, the increase in the deer herd? If so, 10-15 years is a very long time. If the lack of interest in hunting and available land is moving north, 10-15 years isn't long enough.

The loss of area to hunt, declination of hunters, deer overpopulating the urban areas, getting hit by cars. A couple posts above, I stated that hunting as I know it will be gone in 10-15 years.

I didn't read your previous post. Silly me. It's a shame. The loss of hunting land is a real problem here. There is a lot of state land, but I never really felt safe hunting there. Too many yahoos. Now the issue is the potgrowers. It is not uncommon to come across booby traps set up during growing season, and of course they are still there after the season is over with.

I am fortunate. I belong to a club with about 400 acres, and have family with 200 acres right up the road from me.

Back