• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mystery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More pictures would help and if you are taking a vote, you can put a check in the "ugly" box for me.

Looks English, converted to percussion at some point based on the little bit of the trigger guard detail in the pic, the general shape of the butt and plate and the trigger style.

That's my guess..

Militia musket. late 1700s early 1800s looks to have been Japaned. Converted from flint. I see these a lot up here in Maine. Ill need to see any proofs to tell if its British origin. I do see an acorn trigger gaurd. That is typical british.

May be British but the lock marking shot is way out of focus. More to the point, many of the guns used by naval units early on were painted and/or japanned for protection from salt air. Don't know if this is such, time will tell with more photos. Just a thought to toss in the hat! :thumbsup:

i cant seem to get a descent pic of the only mark on the lock, in the pics above it is the four or five leaves pointing to the right

the only mark so far is the second pic from top in original post, 4-5 leaves pointing right

year and value?

Looks to be an old fowler/Militia musket/or some other musket. Any proof marks on the barrel? If not proved its probably and American made arm.
Stock is surely finished with a linseed oil varnish that likely used lead as a dryer (Carbonate or Acetate) and exposure to sulfur from coal burning has turned it very dark. Or it was painted.

Dan

From the photos shown, a plain and simple fowler, nothing spectacular, certainly no indication of any type of militia use.

The black paint on the stock does not necessarily mean it was used in a military or naval manner, just means that someone wanted to "spruce it up" at some point, maybe after it's years of actual use.

Better photos may give us more information that will help.

The trigger bow has a pillar front and an acorn finial. What happened to the lock that went with that to die for bow? :idunno:

In this photo, it looks like whoever decided to "spruce it up" didn't do a very good of applying their masking tape before they sprayed it.

Notice the straight lines where the paint ends on the acorn and the way the black paint seems to climb up the front of the trigger hoop.

Course, that's just my thoughts on it.

DSCF1844_zpsfa27c259.jpg

I'd guess an old lacquer applied all over that has darkened, chipped and worn away. But it is hard to tell without holding it :idunno:

anyone nearby want to take a closer look at it and hold it get in touch with me,i'm near winchester in WV

more pics
took the barrel out, nothing on the barrel, stock had some "putty" around the pins which were modern aluminum wire or some such thing, holding it in place

[URL
=http://s13.photobucket.com/user/prch/media/DSCF1880_zpsa9f3aace.jpg.html]
DSCF1880_zpsa9f3aace.jpg
[/URL]

Lock looks like a trade lock..... Think this is a basic low end fowler that continued on into the percussion era....

Latest posts

Back