• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mystery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you in relation to Winchester, Va? I'm on Rt. 522 about half way between Winchester and Berkeley Springs, WV.

Do you need a replacement lock? You should be able to repair the existing one.

west on 50, inside wv
the lock seems fine, the stock is beat up and broke just behind the lock, its been filled in and puttied with somthing

IMO, restocking this gun would be a waste of money.

It would become just another collection of old used parts installed on a modern stock and loose all of its history and unique qualities.

There are thousands of new parts available for building a new rifle/smoothbore if having a shootable gun is the goal.

Likewise, there are thousands of old gun parts available from a number of sources who's history has been lost over the years.

There is only one gun exactly like this one.

'Course, that's just my thoughts about it. :)

thank you zonie...
its a cousins gun, so i am just gathering all the info i can for the possibilities and options he has

Zonie is 100% correct, restocking is not an option for the reasons he stated.

Aside from conserving the gun as is - not a bad idea - careful restoration by a knowledgeable, experienced person with both woodworking and metal working skills is but that option can be expensive and may drive the cost up too high.

get a plain horn and bag and hang it above the fireplace or some such appropriate place.
Tom Patton

Okwaho said:
get a plain horn and bag and hang it above the fireplace or some such appropriate place.
Tom Patton

Exactly, well said Okwaho. Preserve it as is and appreciate it for the history, not as a source of parts for a "new" gun.

I'm with the others too. Give it a little TLC to protect wood and metal and give it an honored place to rest. It's done it's laps, time to sit back and be admired!! :wink: :thumbsup:

Howdy!

Yes, I would NOT restock it either. I suggest having someone convert it back to a flintlock, and keeping it as is. You have a handmade gun almost in its original condition. Try and keep it that was as much as possible.

Thanks for showing it!

Latest posts

Back